Info needed regarding a Johnson Gas Forge

Fergy35

I was browsing an upcoming auction that has a bunch of tools I am interested in. As I was reading the sale bill I saw this listed

e9fff83a.jpg
[/IMG]

From the picture it is obviously missing the front door and any controls that it once had. It looks well used and the base plate appears broken.

My question is - Based on what can be seen, would this be worth taking a shot at or would I be better looking at doing something different? If it would be worth messing with, how much should I consider spending?

There are other tools I am planning on going to the auction for, so if this is not worth the time, I will still be going anyway. I just wondered if this was worth the trouble.

Were it me, I wouldn't spend very much.
Hard to say without looking at it in person or getting more details, but I always assume the worst. Relining, new controls, etc.

This company has been around a very long time.
The only experience I have had with their products is a couple of used casting furnaces. In my case, both were set up for natural gas (at a higher pressure than was available at my residence), so that might be something to keep in mind when checking it out.

The problem with purchasing used industrial equipment is that sometimes you stumble across a real deal, and other times you spend more getting it running than you might spend building your own from the start.
So my approach is to always know up front what it would cost to build myself, then use that as a comparison. A very real benefit to starting from scratch is that you can tailor the design specific to your needs.

Contacting Johnson could help you sort it out. You're primarily looking for cost of replacement parts.
http://www.johnsongas.com/industrial/industrial-furnaces.asp

Good Luck,
Rob

rob45,

Thanks for the comments. I was having similar thoughts about used industrial equipment. I know there are some deals out there, sometimes. Of course sometimes, there is a reason they are dumping something rather than fixing it too. I'll be at the auction anyway so I'll just see what happens. If it goes dirt cheap... well I guess we'll see.

Meanwhile, I'll chat with Johnson to see what I can learn.

Take care,

Dan

Back