Input needed: Orientation of Swayback blade on Ealy Damascus‏

JC in SC

I tried to post this thread yesterday afternoon, but for some reason I couldn't access the website. Particularly odd, since I kept getting email notifications of responses to other threads I'm subscribed to. Anyway, I posted over on BF with a poll, but I'm interested to see what my fellow Dogs think.

With many lessons learned from building my first slip joint (which is nearing completion), I've begun brainstroming what design I'll do next. I have a couple of ideas, some in my head, some on paper. One of those is a Swayback with some Delbert Ealy Lizard Pattern Damascus, SS bolsters and Sambar Stag scales. I've been playing around with some photocopies of the bar of Damascus and my preliminary sketch of the blade.

5102184157_aef1107835_b.jpg

Originally, I was leaning towards 'Option 1', though I think they all look good. Right now I'm kind of digging 'Option 4' though.

Obviously I didn't put a lot of time into ensuring the consistency of my traces, so disregard any minor differences between the above blade shapes. They are supposed to be identical other than the orientation of the pattern. That being said, which orientation do you like best?

FWIW, I am also "diggin" #4 with you... Something about the way the pattern opens up as you near the tip of the blade...

I believe 1,3, and 4 are in fact the same, in that when you gring into this billet the only similarity will be the patern running at a the same angle but the streaks which are nickel will change in shape and thichnesses. All just normal. Ealy Damascus is great to work and looks good when finished. It can be heat coloured after hardening and etching to give a coupkle of colours. Frank

Back