Interesting project

rasret01

In 1903 a ranger in what was to become South Africa's largest game preserve was attacked by two lions. He was pulled from his horse and grabbed by the right shoulder by one lion and dragged on his back some 60 feet into the brush. He finally got his left hand to his belt knife and stabbed the lion twice in the heart and once in the jugular. When it let go of him, he managed to climb a tree and wait while the lion died. The ranger's name was Harry Wolhuter and the lion skin and his knife can be seen in a South African museum today. I made this replica at the request of a client in South Africa. It is a simply a flat ground butcher knife with a six inch blade! This one is in O1 and rose wood.

Dick

Attachments

• K2.jpg
    K2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 72
  • K1.jpg
    K1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 30
what a cool story. i love the knife as well. my dad used to tell me that any knife that worked in the kitchen, would probably work anywhere. good stuff.

liontribe

Dick great looking knife and a very close replica indeed. The skin and knife is hanging in the Skukusa Museum. Skukusa is the main camp in the Kruger National Park and that is the park where it happened. The tree that he climped in died and there is just a dry tree trunk left standing to day.

Great story ... I lived in the horn for awhile and fell in love with the area, still very much untamed! Great knife too, very nice!

Back