International shipping Question for knifemakers.

flatblackcapo

I have a knife to ship across the pond but I was quoted $76.00 (U.S.) to ship USPS with tracking and signature conformation. Do any of you knife makers know of a cheaper safe reliable way to ship knives? Thanks and Happy New Year!

I've had international packages take an additional $40 to $60 so I don't see that being out of the ball park. USPS international flat rate is in the $50 range I believe.

You can either just eat it and know how much to quote for next time, or hope the seller is ok with the markup. I usually split it with them as a good-faith service. Also, there can be duty fees to consider, at least to France and Canada in my experience.

Try 1st class registered mail from USPS. Don't bother trying to insure it. It's more of a hassle that it's worth. Besides after a year the knife is still missing and the issue is still open. Recently shipped one and my daughter took it to the PO, just plain 1st class, she tried to save me money, and it got there in about 12 days. I worried and prayed day and night.

Custom duty fees to the buyers can be considerable, also check their laws, you may be sending something that is different than they can possess. That's a whole other story.

X2 what George said about customs fees and taxes to the buyer - particularly Europe. I've had customers spittin' mad at me because their government added HUGE fees to the parcel.

It's a point that should probably be discussed when the knife is ordered - but it could be a real damper on closing the deal.

I use first class International mail when its under 4lbs with good results.
The Pond is a very general location and I have to remind many here in the wacky town I live in that Europe is not a country! Even if a large swath of it has a single monetary system.

The one country you can not ship knives to is Italy and as noted many have tariffs which are the buyers responsibility. Still others I will NOT ship any knives to like Greece, Croatia & Russian etc most of the former Soviet block you are asking for theft by the buyer or who knows?

I always list knives being shipped overseas as Culinary knife. Decretive knife or camping tool.

I hope this helps some of our newer makers.

Thanks to all for the replies. I guess "across the pond" was kind of vague.My customer is in England. The shipping fees were discussed and the buyer took responsibility for them before the knife was even started. The signature conformation was his idea but I think the 76.00 surprised both of us. Thank you all again for the help.

In my short maker's career I have shipped 3 overseas. One to latin america, one to France (still hasn't arrive after many months and hasn't been signed for, shipping cost $56), and one to Denmark, got there recently.

Also research where it is going for rules on what they can have and paper work required. Laurence's suggestion is good on labeling. The more it does not sound like a weapon, the better the chance of delivery.

Thanks George. I will do some checking into knife laws over there. I will take Laurence's advice and label it kitchen cutlery . Many Thanks to y'all!

Back