Is your collection worth more this year than last?

martentrapper

So has your collection appreciated in value? Have custom knives appreciated overall?
What knives are likely to appreciate?
mt

My Thoughts Regarding Custom Knives

So has your collection appreciated in value?
My knives for the most part have appreciated in value individually, however my total collection value has decreased a little as I have sold some high-end knives and the pieces I replaced them with have been less costly. I will most likely be adding more knives and some more costly pieces to my collection throughout the rest of 2011 than selling, thus raising my overall value in coming months.

Have custom knives appreciated overall?
I don't think custom knives generally appreciate overall. However, select knives from select knifemakers will most always appreciate. It's more about choosing the right knives/makers if value appreciation is part of your collecting criteria.

Quality knives which have time-proven classic designs that stand out among others over time made by knifemakers who work to promote themselves and custom knives in general.

Last edited:

I haven't the foggiest idea! :les: Oh I guess it is worth more because I bought a few more knives in 2011. My advice... collect what you collect for the pure enjoyment of it.

I have to agree. My goal in collecting is to collect those I enjoy but at the same time investing in those that I know will hold or appreciate in value. I feel confident that almost every piece in my collection is worth just as much today as they day I purchased it if not more. I never add a piece with the intent of making money off of it (though I often tell my wife that I am). I just want to insure that I don't loose money in the deal.

I can honestly say that my collection is worth considerably more this year than last. I picked up a piece in January (dang near stole it) and have another piece that I'm waiting for delivery of. I have a feeling that the piece I am waiting on delivery of is worth many times more than what I paid, but it is one that will be cherished for life and hopefully passed on to my children one day.

So has your collection appreciated in value? Have custom knives appreciated overall?
mt

I haven't the foggiest idea! :les: Oh I guess it is worth more because I bought a few more knives in 2011. My advice... collect what you collect for the pure enjoyment of it.

I agree100%, however we have to remember that the investment aspect is part of the pure enjoyment for some collectors.

Mine is worth way more, but thats because I weeded out the less expensive ones and upgraded. Now i have fewer knives but nicer ones.

Amen. Other than the fact that I bought a large number of production knives and over 25 custom knives, it might have shrunk. If I ever get my inventory up to date I might be able to ascertain what I have. My wife gave up trying to get me to record everything years ago. It's not like I'm going to sell them anytimes soon.

Back