It is time for a new Respirator. ..UPDATED (Jan. 15th&16th) with some photos.

Abbott

The respirator I prefer is unavailable at the current time. I have a full beard so my choices are sometimes limited. Does anyone have a favorite that they can recommend?

I use the standard 3M respirator that has the "modules" that you can swap out. I generally use the organic module that filters out smells, etc. and then I put an N95 on top of that to filter out particles. No clue if it would work with a beard.

I use the standard 3M respirator that has the "modules" that you can swap out. I generally use the organic module that filters out smells, etc. and then I put an N95 on top of that to filter out particles. No clue if it would work with a beard.
I use the 3M Half-face respirator. It works well with my goatee. However not as well when I had a full beard. It was one of the reasons I shaved my full beard back to the goatee. As long as I keep it short the Half-face works quite well.

I've heard of several people with full beards converting CPAP machines to respirators. Here's a YouTube video of one.

CPAP conversion

This is what I'd get... I've got an old school 3m breathe easy but this will be my next upgrade

Because I have a full beard I use a Resp-O-Rator filter. Unfortunately finding replacement filters is impossible and they are proprietary only for that filter - and I've never felt these filters are built very well. So, I machined new filter connections to allow use of a standard 3M pancake filter. I also fabricated a new dog bone that supports the filters since the old plastic one failed.
For me this filter method is a good compromise to other 3M filters since it allows me to more easily wear ear protections and a magnifier with a head band - and it also fits well with my welding hood.
1609688843054.png
1609688878585.png
1609688904591.png

I just want to sit in your shop with you and watch you create fixes to obstacles that you have. It's a real joy for me to see.
thanks.

Thanks Bruce. Figuring out how to make the 3 part bayonet connection for the 3M filters was a fun bit of creative machining.
1609695661580.png
1609695731800.png

I use a 3M Versaflo since I have a large full beard, but there are plans out there to print adapters for 3M filters to work with the Resp-o-rater if you have a 3D printer or access to one.

Because I have a full beard I use a Resp-O-Rator filter. Unfortunately finding replacement filters is impossible and they are proprietary only for that filter - and I've never felt these filters are built very well. So, I machined new filter connections to allow use of a standard 3M pancake filter. I also fabricated a new dog bone that supports the filters since the old plastic one failed.
For me this filter method is a good compromise to other 3M filters since it allows me to more easily wear ear protections and a magnifier with a head band - and it also fits well with my welding hood.
View attachment 76603
View attachment 76604
View attachment 76605
Nice work Bob (as usual). That's the one that I have broken (my puppy tooth fixed it for me), now they say that they are not available at the present time. Maybe I will have to visit a dive shop and like you, make up my own version. The funny thing is that I have so many projects I cannot even fathom (fathom, hehe) when I will have time to return to my grinder.

Diverdave is a member here, I wonder if he may have some hints that may help???

Last edited:
I use a 3M Versaflo since I have a large full beard, but there are plans out there to print adapters for 3M filters to work with the Resp-o-rater if you have a 3D printer or access to one.
Wow, wish I had found that 3D printer solution before I machine one. That would have justified buying a 3D printer!
I see that this guys cross arm support link broke too. I'm guessing he'll 3D print one of those as well.
Thanks for the link.

This is what I'd get... I've got an old school 3m breathe easy but this will be my next upgrade

That is very nice but way out of my price range.

Ahh yeah then you will probably need to pick up a resp-o-rator as depicted above... Not sure what else will work with a beard.
Yeah, at this time they are unavailable but they do work. I always have to beef up the filter a little bit with some cut and paste from regular face masks but it does the job. I may end up using a paper mask until I can construct my own.

Jim Duxbury the maker of the Resp-O-Rator, sent me a note this morning saying that he has them available again.

Jim Duxbury the maker of the Resp-O-Rator, sent me a note this morning saying that he has them available again.
I've talked with Mr. Duxbury, he is a really nice guy that has invented a product that works for a lot of folks. Good to hear that the Resp-O-Rator is available again. BTW he is a fine craftsman, specializing in pens, kaleidoscopes and such, check out his website: http://duxterity.com/ec/

I've talked with Mr. Duxbury, he is a really nice guy that has invented a product that works for a lot of folks. Good to hear that the Resp-O-Rator is available again. BTW he is a fine craftsman, specializing in pens, kaleidoscopes and such, check out his website: http://
Jim Duxbury said that the new Resp-O-Rator has had a filter upgrade. He said that it now comes equipped with a type of "canister" that will accept N95 filters or that a heppa-furnace filter can be cut down and inserted into the canister in a pinch. I am looking forward to recieving my new one and I will post photos when it arrives.

Last edited:
My package arrived today in good shape.

Attachments

• 20210115_142523_resized.jpg
    20210115_142523_resized.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210115_142537_resized.jpg
    20210115_142537_resized.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210115_142605_resized.jpg
    20210115_142605_resized.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 14
Nice, good to see these are available again. Does the new and improved filter directly accept the 3M cartridges like 20XX series bayonet fitting?

Back