Ivory slabs

D

DC KNIVES

I have a possible order coming up that will require white ivory slabs.Who is the best supplier now?Dave:)

Dave and Josh,

The folks that Josh lists in his post are great to work with. http://www.elephantivorytusks.com/index.html Superb pricing and very quick ship. The ivory that comes in is exactly the size you ordered. I've never had any come in that was warped or with a nerve hole in it - you know the little black line that runs down the center of the tusk? Anyway - Just remember that the pricing on the elephant ivory is PER PIECE not per set, so double it. Good luck.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Thanks guys, checked them out and they look great and just up the road.Dave:)

Dave,

Just a thought here....if you've not worked with "fresh" ivory a lot, it can be a real headache. I quit using it a number of years ago when I spent the better part of a month working on a bowie where the customer wanted elephant ivory.
I finished the knife, laid it on the leather working bench (which just happened to have a window over it with the sun shining through, and onto the knife.) I went into the house to get a glass of tea, came back about 15 mins later and the entire handle was split....not checked, not cracked, but split from one end to the other with about 1/8" split. I had heard from other makers of this happening to them, but always thought they were nuts....until it happened to me. The ivory was warm to the touch from the sun shining on it, but not "hot". Just an example of how "quirky" fresh ivory can be.
That episode cost me a $300 chunk of ivory, a customer who was ticked that his knife wasn't done on schedule, plus the time and frustration of having to tear the knife apart and basically rebuild the guard, handle, and butt cap, plus the cost of more ivory. I simply refuse to use the material any more, and although it will cost the customer more, fossil ivory is the only type I will use if a customer specifies "Ivory". Even the fossil ivories have quirks, but they are far fewer, and far less severe than "fresh" ivory.

Thanks Ed, I know the risks and have explained them to the customer, and told him I won't warranty the ivory from cracking but he insists.I still have time to try and change his mind.The other problem which could cause cracks is the ivory and me are in Florida and will be sending the knife to Missouri , big temp difference.Dave:)

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also give R.W.Wilson a call. he comes to the wannamaker show with a lot of sets every time and very reasonable.

I can second R.W. He will do his best to get you what you want, and he has been making knives and selling supplies since the early seventies, maybe late sixties.

Fresh ivory like this sounds alot like surriname snakewood. I just had my wifes christmas present crack in 3 places. I did however catch it in time and super glued and clamped it and its beem perfect ever since cross my fingers. I have a few pieces of mammoth tusk but Ill wait for a bit to try it.

Dave,

Most folks use the term "fresh ivory" as a generic term to refer to any of the ivories that are not fossilized. Even though the importing of elephant ivory has been banned for many years, its still available from any number of sources. I've also heard terms like "legal ivory", and "banned ivory" used to describe the same array of materials.

Back