J. Doyle - A big thank you.

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
I just wanted to say thank you to J. Doyle for helping me with my first full tang knife. For some this is no big deal. For me, it was stressful.

I did not want to screw up this knife blank. I have never used a tap and die set to make anything before this attempt. It turned out pretty well, IMHO.

I had seen a picture in the "what's happening in your shop thread" of John's knife blanks with this task accomplished. I sent him a pm and J. Doyle was a huge help. He gave me some great advice and a great tip. "Use a corby bolt for the fineal nut it should be 8/32." It was!

Long story short - J. Doyle is a good guy that is willing to take a few moments out of his busy day to help a fellow knife maker out. He gives of himself and grants his assistance freely. He shares information in a fashion that is easy to understand and is useful to the recipient. Thank you J. Doyle. You are a rock star!!!

Here is a couple of pictures of the end result.

DeMo

DSC04766.jpg

DSC04767.jpg

John Doyle is a super good guy. He has given me great advice as well, and he's wonderful to deal with when you want excellent handle material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Doyle is a super good guy. He has given me great advice as well, and he's wonderful to deal with when you want excellent handle material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll jump in. J Doyle is indeed an awesome guy. Been following him on BF for a while. Recently he hooked me up with some KILLER KOA at a great price. Thanks John!

Demo, John Doyle is a good man and knife maker but you are incorrect calling what you made a full tang. What you have is a "through tang". Full tang is when you use scales to handle a blade.

Demo, John Doyle is a good man and knife maker but you are incorrect calling what you made a full tang. What you have is a "through tang". Full tang is when you use scales to handle a blade.

Raymond - Thank you for the correction. I always use the wrong terms for the right reasons. A through tang is what I meant to say.

John has always been quick to give good advice, he is one of the good guys.

When you think about it there are lots of knifedogs who are helpful and that is what makes this place great

You guys are too kind.....you're making me blush. I appreciate your kind words. I've had some wonderful help along the way from a group of people that I'm blessed to call true friends and I'm happy to return the favor in any way I can. I'm happy to be a small part of this great little community we've got here.

DeMo- looks great. You've got the hang of it. After you get the idea of doing a few, you can make your own finials with a multitude of different materials to match the other fittings.

I think John exemplifies what the knife making community is all about. Sharing and helping others freely. I can't believe how helpful makers can be. Even at a show I sell at other makers will sit down and share ideas and techniques putting competition aside.

Way to go John! , and way to go DeMo for stepping out side your comfort zone, looks like your on your way.

Erik

John is quite a kind hearted man. He helped me get started in the known steel realm by, giving me a start with some blanks and his expertice as best as he could balance and ht said blanks. I tried to rush through the knives and he called me on it and brought my head back down to reality.
He has always taken the time to answer my questions. He is a good man a wonderful teacher.

Back