Jack Folder

cnccutter

got a little Free time in the shop today and played with a new folder pattern. I haven't had a chance to make a Jack Folder and I thought I'd try one with a contoured bolster.

It was a bit of a learning curve but after getting a pattern for the bolster in O1 it was pretty easy. i found a rotary file in eBay with a rub collar and it cut the 410 ss pretty good.

Erik

Blade O1
liners & bolsters 410ss
scales lignum vita

open 5 3/4"
blade 2 3/4"

Attachments

• Erik Land Jack Folder.jpg
    Erik Land Jack Folder.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Erik Land Jack folder closeup.jpg
    Erik Land Jack folder closeup.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 43
  • erik land burrs.jpg
    erik land burrs.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 44
Never used 410 ss. I've used 416 for bolsters and it seems to shape fairly well with little fuss, though it takes some elbow grease and a few cups of coffee.
Looks like you got it going in the right direction though. Is this bit being used in a hand tool or a machine?

Thanks Eric. I just chucked the bit up in my drill press and held the bolster by hand. Not to many grabs, ha!

erik

Erik - you used drill press? I looked at the nice curve and thinks, Those CNC machines really shine at this curve fitting stuff. Why did you not use the CNC? Seems like I remember you work with those?

Oh, nice looking folder - I do like the blade shape, and the curved bolster/handle really adds to the appearance.

Ken H>

Yea Ken I do have a cnc but its for none metal cutting. I just wanted to hone my hand skills with the file for this project. Now that I have a O1 hardened pattern I can cut a bolster pretty quick. I have looked into outfitting a small knee mill with cnc and that may be in my future if I can get it b the wife

erik

Back