Just finished up an order

Bailey Knives

Here is one for a customer. It is forged 1095 with stabilized maple burl. I think it came out well. I hope he likes it. It cuts like a lightsaber.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 166
Thanks, guys. I have been practicing my leather work, and with some help of this here forum, it has been improving.

Congratulations - well done.

I gotta learn the curved-grind line technique...

Thanks for sharing!

BC

That curved grind line is a new acquisition for me. I decided this year to learn how to do it. I am still learning (story of my life!) and think I have the basic technique down. I hang the belt about 1/4 inch over the platen when doing the plunge cut, and do it with a sweeping motion. Sometimes it works out better than others. This one was OK.

Sometimes, it takes me almost as long to make a sheath as it does to make a knife. My sheaths improved mostly when I stopped looking at it as a burden that had to be done, and started looking at it as just another step to producing a finished knife. I rarely produce a knife without a sheath, and when I do, they are kitchen knives.

Last edited:
Very nice. Love the shape of the knife and the blade grinds. Nice piece of wood also.

That curved grind line is a new acquisition for me. I decided this year to learn how to do it. I am still learning (story of my life!) and think I have the basic technique down. I hang the belt about 1/4 inch over the platen when doing the plunge cut, and do it with a sweeping motion. Sometimes it works out better than others. This one was OK.

Sometimes, it takes me almost as long to make a sheath as it does to make a knife. My sheaths improved mostly when I stopped looking at it as a burden that had to be done, and started looking at it as just another step to producing a finished knife. I rarely produce a knife without a sheath, and when I do, they are kitchen knives.

Thanks for the little tip on the curved plunge lines....they look very nice.
Im going to try it.:D
That knife just looks perfect in that sheath. Outstanding work.

You guys sure dont make it easy on a newb do ya:eek::D

Just friggin awesome Matt. I can only hope and work my ass off to one day make such a fine piece!!

Well done,

45, just keep at it. My first knives made prison shanks look fancy, but once the knifemaking thing got in my blood, I could hardly think about anything else. I still have a bunch of new things I want to try, but I am still trying to perfect the old things.

That's a nice one. I love the blade shape and the swedge is sweet!

Back