Just for fun

Jon Kelly

Here is a little lapidary project I finished up awhile back. I have made four of these so far in various semi-precious Gemstones. Sometime when I get real motivated I will combine my lapidary skills and knife skills to make a few gemstone handled or inlay knives, but I really need a bigger shop for that. This one has a blade of petrified wood from a piece I found in the desert, and scales made from willow creek jasper from a mine over in Idaho. The display is another piece of petrified wood on a piece of brazilian agate. Everything is polished out to 50,000 micron, so it's nice and shiny. The knife itself is 5" OAL with a 2 1/4" blade. Sorry about the lack of Hamon, lol.

Attachments

• P1110138.jpg
    P1110138.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 65
Wow! That is a incredible work of art! How long did it take to make knife and stand together?

Thanks guys. Those little knives are a tremendous challenge in many ways. Finding the right materials that will hold up to the abuses endured in the grinding process is very difficult, and at any point in the process it could snap. All of the grinding is done on a 6" diamond wheel and a 6" flat lap. Imagine if we were limited to those specs in knife making, lol. These take tons of patience and many sitting to make, generally about 20 hours or so once materials are assembled, assuming things go well. I got into lapidary about twelve years ago and have made hundreds of pieces of cabochon style gemstone jewelry as well as a limited number of unique creations such as these knives. Knife making for me is an extension of these skills and my hope is to someday integrate all I have learned in order to create a tool that is useful, beautiful and unique. We'll see how that goes.....

Back