Justin W’s KITH Bowie

Justin W.

82489F92-B4FC-4284-8B1E-5BF6D166D52C.jpegIm super excited to enter into the KITH this year! I’ve never made a proper Bowie before so This is gonna be a very fun project! I’m probably not gonna put the hamon on the blade just because I want to do my absolute best work lol. Thanks for checking it out

Thanks guys as of right now I’m thinking I’d like to do natural canvas micarta for the handle and then black G10 pins and liners. I have no clue what I want to do for a blade finish yet I’m gonna have to feel it out a bit but I’m leaning towards just a satin

I like the profile of the blade. If I may make 1 suggestion the handle looks to "skinny". I feel like it should be a Little wider after that first "finger choil". The blade shape looks cool though. Don't take this the wrong way I'm just a wannabe knifemaker its just the first thing I noticed when I saw the Blade.
Jason

I like the profile of the blade. If I may make 1 suggestion the handle looks to "skinny". I feel like it should be a Little wider after that first "finger choil". The blade shape looks cool though. Don't take this the wrong way I'm just a wannabe knifemaker its just the first thing I noticed when I saw the Blade.
Jason
No don’t sweat it I’m happy to take any constructive criticism! I just want to make the best knives that I can.

Btw didn’t you just win a grinder?

8EAB5309-B430-4529-B2F1-DC0148A40590.jpegI finally got this guy onto some 1084 barstock. I really wish I wouldn’t have posted a picture of my design in this thread because my design looks nothing like the blank I just made:rolleyes:

After I traced the blank onto my bar and then I I started tweaking a few things and then I was talking to some makers who are much better than I am and this is where I landed lol thanks for checking it out!

Honestly like both styles you've created here. The concept caught my eye because of the finger choil is similar to a model I use and I loved the blade shape. I do agree that the handle is a bit thin for that sized blade. When I get making again, I may mirror the design with my own twist for a blade I've been wanting for myself.

The actual blade you've made here is also great and looks like it'll be a workhorse. Look forward to seeing the final product.

Honestly like both styles you've created here. The concept caught my eye because of the finger choil is similar to a model I use and I loved the blade shape. I do agree that the handle is a bit thin for that sized blade. When I get making again, I may mirror the design with my own twist for a blade I've been wanting for myself.

The actual blade you've made here is also great and looks like it'll be a workhorse. Look forward to seeing the final product.
Which handle are you referring to or do you mean both lol

Which handle are you referring to or do you mean both lol
The concept handle for the drawing is the one I was saying is a bit thin from spine to belly. It still looks great though. The current one looks good and will be good for the blade.

Of course this is just my own opinion and I'm by no means a professional...just a hobbyist. A maker's design is their own preference and we learn more with every blade we make. I know I made a model I wish I had a few variations before I made the final design. The handle was too long for the blade and makes it uncomfortable unless you have gorilla hands. To compensate I've widened the handle with side contours to compensate. Since then I've been making blades and handles out of scrap wood to test shapes before I'll actually make it in steel.

The change you made makes a big difference and a definite improvement visually. The proportions are much better balanced from that simple tweak. Great job!

Back