Karelian Birch burl Cityknife

Very beautiful. Ambitious choice of materials. The blade looks too small for the handle. This may be the pictures talking. Or maybe I don't subscribe to the big handle/small blade theory of knife making. I like the "shredded cf/gold leaf shield." Mostly because it's shredded.

Can we see the carbon fiber spring?

Congrats on another fine job. :)

16651890989584437196001375675185.jpg16651891310548230869748392894813.jpg1665189169248584376557279104382.jpg
Very beautiful. Ambitious choice of materials. The blade looks too small for the handle. This may be the pictures talking. Or maybe I don't subscribe to the big handle/small blade theory of knife making. I like the "shredded cf/gold leaf shield." Mostly because it's shredded.

Can we see the carbon fiber spring?

Congrats on another fine job. :)
The blade just fits inside the frame.

Is there a functional benefit for the choice of carbon fiber? Or did you use it just 'cause it's cool? (It is really cool. I've never seen it used for a spring like this.)

Is there a functional benefit for the choice of carbon fiber? Or did you use it just 'cause it's cool? (It is really cool. I've never seen it used for a spring like this.)

Weight reduction. The knife is crazy light with Ti liners and the CF spring. I made one awhile back with a mostly cf handle. The scales and spring were cf and went linerless. The finished knife weighs just 50.5 grams.

Ease of manufacture. If I mess up a spring I can have another one ready to put on the knife in minutes rather than several hours

And of course the cool factor

Is there a special carbon fiber you use for the backspring? OR, is it the same carbon fiber I'd get by ordering a set of carbon scales for a fixed blade knife? What about this zt 3mm (.118") thick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6HTRR2N/

Do you make the back spring any larger than a normal steel backspring?

As you can tell you've got me interested in the carbon fiber backspring:)

That stuff should work fine. As long as its not the marbled/shredded or end grain stuff there should be plenty of strength. I make the spring in the exact same dimensions as the steel springs and preload about the same amount as well. It does give a lighter pull than a steel spring, and you'll want to make sure the running surfaces are highly polished to stop friction/wear.

Back