Kevin Zito - KITH 2019 Bowie WIP

Need to raise bottom of ricasso to match bottom of collar and even out the garbage file work. I just wanted to show update y’all with a pic. The file work was decent, but I messed it up a little when I was rounding the edges of the spacer. The inner spacer is going to be etched as shown.... but again I’ve got to clean this up a tremendous amount.

17A9EFD3-0DCF-4FC5-856D-D6F3C667CE81.jpeg

Thank you, sir! I was just looking at your #100 thread. That’s amazing! I did a quick count, and I think this is my eleventh (fully completed) lol... and the sad part is that I “make knives” 3 hrs everyday at the very minimum. I’m terrible lol. But .... I love it more everyday.
That’s amazing! With the detail work you’re putting in that Bowie it looks like you’ve been doing it for years. Some guys just have talent and I guess you’re one of them. :)

Need to raise bottom of ricasso to match bottom of collar and even out the garbage file work. I just wanted to show update y’all with a pic. The file work was decent, but I messed it up a little when I was rounding the edges of the spacer. The inner spacer is going to be etched as shown.... but again I’ve got to clean this up a tremendous amount.

View attachment 69790
Looking mais oui. Keep at it . Just think, if you worked 3hours and 15 minutes a day, why that would be a whole 15 minutes more chances to make a giant mistake!

View attachment 69790
Kevin you are correct about raising the ricasso This picks up on some of the points about us having a critical eye for our own work and you are on it! It would still look great the way it is (IMHO) but your suggested change will look great.
You may want to sketch it out with the change just to make sure all the proportions still look right.

Kevin you are correct about raising the ricasso This picks up on some of the points about us having a critical eye for our own work and you are on it! It would still look great the way it is (IMHO) but your suggested change will look great.
You may want to sketch it out with the change just to make sure all the proportions still look right.
Thanks, OP! That’s a great idea. I’ve been using Inkscape -it’s free and really good for drawing out knives. It’s very easy to make adjustments to a design... so I can quickly click and drag to check proportions. I find it to be less stressful than grinding three or four blades lol.

Thanks, OP! That’s a great idea. I’ve been using Inkscape -it’s free and really good for drawing out knives. It’s very easy to make adjustments to a design... so I can quickly click and drag to check proportions. I find it to be less stressful than grinding three or four blades lol.
I use Inkscape as well. It's a great little program.

Don't forget what John Doyle said .... He won't use spalted wood because it's inherently unstable.
I must have missed that somewhere. What about spalted wood that’s been stabilized? Kevin’s piece looks solid without any major voids. Or does that make any difference? I haven’t made a hidden tang yet but I’ve used spalted scales that have been stabilized and along with G10 I don’t think using it like that will cause a problem. Solid handle may be different.

Back