Kimmi/Walker 2021 KITH

It’s usually done to make a knife cost more, be a pain in the butt, and look terrible.
Ok, real answer, cut weight and some people say it looks nice. That’s subjective though…..
:D I have to say that’s the most honest answer ever lmao. I assumed it was for weight but I thought I’d ask before I run home after work and start filing down the tangs on my knives in progress.

I have the new blade hand sanded and ready to get engraved. While I wait to get that done, I got started on the handles. Here’s a video explaining how I drill the pin holes in the scales for the tapered tang.
Gene, thanks for that video, remarkably clear and concise. Compared to so many other knife making videos, yours is right to the point & no BS.
Now, I'll have to try that technique.

Kaleb and I exchanged KITH knives last week, so I thought I'd post pictures of the knife I finished.

I used a piece of curly Koa (Is anyone surprised at that?) for the handle, fastened with 2 corby bolts and 4 3/32" pins in a diamond pattern.
On the sheath, I stamped a basket weave pattern. I had to practice on 2 others before doing this one as I haven't done this stamping before.

I'll let Kaleb post pictures of his, but I have to say, I was super impressed with the knife I received! It was interesting seeing how another maker made the same design but did things differently.

I am a little bit late to post this, I apologize for that. Anyways, this is the knife that I made and sent Gene.

I used G10 for the handle and pins. I used a blue piece and sandwiched it between two black pieces. I then put that sandwiched bit on a piece of blue G10 liner.
The sheath is made out of Kydex. I pressed the kydex to the knife, shaped it and then added a clip on the back.

The blade was hand sanded to 800 grit, then dipped in FC to turn it black. I then stonewashed it. It has an odd coloration on the blade, I am not quite sure what happened, but I have it happen every now and then when stonewashing.

My logo was etched in with electrolyte and a car battery charger.

I did not have any photos of my knife with the sheath, so I included the ones that I have of the knives together.

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png