Kirinite vs. Other Acrylics (Acrylester). Your input please!

GrizzlyKnives

Hey guys. I've been using Acrylester from www.logstolumberexotics.com with great success. I offer it only on kitchen knives and explain that it isn't for hard use nor is it likely to survive a fall onto a tile floor...that being said though, I've dropped onto my concrete floor while cutting it and have had none shatter. It works well, is reasonably priced, and finishes beautifully with a ton of colors to choose from.

What are your comparisons between that new material Kirinite and Acrylester/other acrylics? How well does it wear? How fragile is it? I really like the colors of the Kirinite and the pricing is good too.

The Kirinite is really tough. Boss was throwing a piece against the cement floor at the Hammer-in, and it didn't phase it. I have a new stabilized type material coming that I'm going to try. I'm anxious to see if it can hold up against Kirinite.

Wow, sounds pretty tough then!

Would you care to tell what material it is? I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting handle material.

Grizzly,
Kirinite is a proprietary acrylic of some kind? They aren't telling us. lol. I personally make mostly culinary knives and have moved over to using all Kirinite for my synthetic material of choice.

I used Delrin, Acrylester etc and many of the other "Acrylics & Plastics" that are out there. The Kirinite is the best I have used so far. It is not only impact resistant but seems to scratch less than the others I have used. I believe that Bossdog is the sole US retailer for kirinite.

The Sunspot Pearl is a real hit with the ladies and the Lava Flow seems to be liked by both genders equally.
The Kirinite Royal pearl in blue is very popular with both as well.

I just started using the newer MOP colors and don't have much feed back yet on selling those.

Thank you Rhino. That's what I wanted to hear. I loved using the Acrylester...the ladies went nuts for the color combos, Peacock especially...but after seeing a couple of my knives after several months, I can tell that it's either not wearing very well, or they are being overly harsh with cleaning the knives.

I just looked again at boss's site...man, that toxic green and black is SICK!

I think I may be switching over...I've already had to do one handle repair and I have another waiting repair right now. Apparently, the acrylester doesnt hold up well to "drunk cooking" lol.

We have been moving hundreds of Acrylester scales and blocks and that is a first "drunk cooking" :biggrin:. Have just added another 10 colors to the Acrylester offerings - now totally just at 80 colors. Beautiful translucent results on knives
Mike

I've used Kirinite once and I was pretty happy with it. My wife actually picked it out. I will definitely be looking for more to use.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413912141.107262.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to knife making and like the kirinite colors and would like to know what epoxy should I use for a full tang knife.
Thank You Paul

I use GFlex for all my knife handles. Having used Krinite several times I really like it. Shape it like wood, buff it like bone, it lasts like micarta. Easy to work with. My wife has the first one I made quite a while back. Boss send out a bunch of pieces for us to try. Mine had a green primary color. I made the knife and she has kept it. Shows it to everyone who comes into her office. Great stuff that Krinite. She washes the knife daily, has dropped it, and the handle looks brand new.

Back