KITH 2019 (Gene...hunter or fighter?)

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
When I saw the knives Gene Kimmi was making for KITH I was impressed by his wip! When I was paired up with him I was both delighted and dismayed. It didn't seem right trading one of those Bowies for my lil' edc...

So I started sketchin'.......

hsk.jpg

I knew I wanted to do a framed handle with the handle recessed into the steel but was undecided on steel thickness. I realized that for the treatment of recessed handle and convex blade I should prolly go with 1/4 thick steel. (A2 of course...lol)

Then i sketched one that was about 1.5 tall and a bit lower thumb ramp. By the time I got done sketching a fighter model was brewin' in the old noggin...And I also realized that the convex pattern machined blade did not look good to me. So i will just be doing a convex grind...which I have been practicing. Much easier for me than a hollow grind.

I don't know if I've ever designed two knives in one day...though really the second was just pencil refinements of the first. The first I did around lunch.

hauser HB2.jpg

So I scanned this and import it to the CAD program. Then I draw lines over the drawing and begin tweaking the lines to improve the beauty factor. It takes me about three days of on and off tweaking to get where I feel the design is solid. This was easier for me to do that my small edc as I have been sketching hunting knives since I was 19...and I'm 58 now...lol. I finished the hunter first...then copied it and re-drew the blade longer...with a hint of upturn and reduced the belly a bit (wish it was that easy in real life...) I also wanted to name it...So I made a logo...the hunter will be "synergy 1" and the fighter will be "Synergy 2" only with roman numerals...What I have shown here is actual cutter path in the CAM program...:It will go on the opposite side of the makers mark in the same area.
synergy 1.png

Here is a simple blue print just to show basic dims. and details. I moved the lanyard hole back a bit as I din't like the handle with it in close. I lifted the point a bit just because. You can see on the sketch that I had a bit of a recurve to the blade which I removed due to the protests of two knife collector friends...lol. I've never made one but they assured me they are less fun to sharpen. (showing your designs early can be a double edged sword...this was enough of a departure that I did want some input...both those guys have bowies/fighters/hunters/daggers. One of 'em was single till his late 50s...so think on that collection...lol.

hunter fighter bp.png

Here's a detail of the thumb ramp...I don't want anyone slipping on the blood of their enemies...lol.

thumbramp.png

Gene...I have some amazing Claro walnut...and real figured maple...both birds-eye and curly. I will make you either knife with either wood. Thank you for the inspiration!

Wow, Ted. I don't know if I can make a choice between the two. They both look great! As for the wood, I would lean towards claro walnut on the hunter and curly maple on the fighter.

Hey Ted , ifin ya feel like making a test knife , I'll volunteer to be the volunteer on either one. Just let me know and I'll send you my mailing address.

Great job Ted. What CAM software are you using?
I use Rhinocam Pro. It is mecsoft software that runs inside the Rhino 3D CAD platform. This allows you to use all the cool drawing tools Rhino has and the CAM tools from mecsoft. It took me a long time to learn Rhino...actually had to take classes. Lol! (Slow learner...don't even have a cell phone...only want to learn technologies that help me make stuff...lol!)

When I saw the knives Gene Kimmi was making for KITH I was impressed by his wip! When I was paired up with him I was both delighted and dismayed. It didn't seem right trading one of those Bowies for my lil' edc...

So I started sketchin'.......

View attachment 70138

I knew I wanted to do a framed handle with the handle recessed into the steel but was undecided on steel thickness. I realized that for the treatment of recessed handle and convex blade I should prolly go with 1/4 thick steel. (A2 of course...lol)

Then i sketched one that was about 1.5 tall and a bit lower thumb ramp. By the time I got done sketching a fighter model was brewin' in the old noggin...And I also realized that the convex pattern machined blade did not look good to me. So i will just be doing a convex grind...which I have been practicing. Much easier for me than a hollow grind.

I don't know if I've ever designed two knives in one day...though really the second was just pencil refinements of the first. The first I did around lunch.

View attachment 70139

So I scanned this and import it to the CAD program. Then I draw lines over the drawing and begin tweaking the lines to improve the beauty factor. It takes me about three days of on and off tweaking to get where I feel the design is solid. This was easier for me to do that my small edc as I have been sketching hunting knives since I was 19...and I'm 58 now...lol. I finished the hunter first...then copied it and re-drew the blade longer...with a hint of upturn and reduced the belly a bit (wish it was that easy in real life...) I also wanted to name it...So I made a logo...the hunter will be "synergy 1" and the fighter will be "Synergy 2" only with roman numerals...What I have shown here is actual cutter path in the CAM program...:It will go on the opposite side of the makers mark in the same area.
View attachment 70140

Here is a simple blue print just to show basic dims. and details. I moved the lanyard hole back a bit as I din't like the handle with it in close. I lifted the point a bit just because. You can see on the sketch that I had a bit of a recurve to the blade which I removed due to the protests of two knife collector friends...lol. I've never made one but they assured me they are less fun to sharpen. (showing your designs early can be a double edged sword...this was enough of a departure that I did want some input...both those guys have bowies/fighters/hunters/daggers. One of 'em was single till his late 50s...so think on that collection...lol.

View attachment 70141

Here's a detail of the thumb ramp...I don't want anyone slipping on the blood of their enemies...lol.

View attachment 70143

Gene...I have some amazing Claro walnut...and real figured maple...both birds-eye and curly. I will make you either knife with either wood. Thank you for the inspiration!
This! Is what makes this forum the way it is!

This! Is what makes this forum the way it is!
Absolutely! Gene's beautiful work knocked me off top dead center...we really do benefit from each other's input on this site. (thanks Tracey!)

It's almost weird how some of the feedback I had gotten from a gunshop owner right at about the time that Gene and I got paired for exchange...pushed me a bit. My sheathmaker also told me to try some new designs....and the gunshop owner? "These are great little knives...I would skin a deer with this no problem. But...A lot of guys these days do not appreciate small knives...unless they're about your age..." Ouch....lol!!!

Back