KMG red grinding cupped from use?

JPSWorks

Hello everyone. Needed to ask others here about an issue I have with my red KMG grinding wheel. I used it a good amount to grind and shape metal and it had become cupped toward the center. I wanted to try to use it to practice some hollow grinding but don't think it's a great idea until I get a new wheel. It is a softer wheel than I probably should have purchased but such is life.

I realized how bad it was cupped when trying to grind and shape the bolsters on my slip joints.

Getting to the point, is there a way to have the material trued up our ground even? Or should I just get another wheel.

This is a quick pic below.

uploadfromtaptalk1434739099434.jpg

Thanks,

John

I'm not going to vow for the safety of this but, I have dressed my wheels by putting a 1" belt on and tracking it to one side. I then used a file to bring down the exposed side of the wheel. I ran my speed as fast as it would go without inducing vibration. I also wore plenty of PPE. It actually worked really well.

Bob

You can use a file or a low grit piece of belt.
Have a work rest...you don't want to hog too fast the material, better trying to stay true by staying light and steady.
Take your time, just don't slow down the wheel and feel for any chattering.

Back