KMG-TX

I don’t think I grind that hard.
Me neither. When I've laid a good portion of my body weight into grinding a flat it heats up to the point I can't hold it before I'm finished with one pass. That's been my experience at least. I use a 1 1/2 HP motor and I haven't stalled it yet.

I'll have to try it with gloves on and see if I can stall the motor.

Well i use a push stick sometimes too. Also on a hard pass with a 36G or 40G belt on a rough grind they get pretty warm but not super hot. I also got some Silicone thumb tips to help not burn myself if blank gets to hot.. Sometimes the tip will but this is prior to heat treat too so no worries there!

If you bog your motor depends a lot on if you're using an 8" contact wheel or a 14" contact wheel, and especially if using a steel only platen or pleten with glass covering. I'd expect it's only with 50 grit and larger (36, etc) when most load is put on motor.

A 14" contact wheel can load a motor more than an 8" wheel will. A steel only platen will load motor most of all. Motor loading will also depend if you're grinding pre or post HT. Post HT you tend not to hog so heavy to keep heat from building to affect HT of blade. Grinding a wide bevel pre-HT on a steel only platen you can put most load on motor.

Not an issue for me anymore. I've adapted my grinding style to accommodate any issues! My reason for the post was to say if your buying a new grinder get the BIG VFD, get the BIG MOTOR, and you'll never have an issue!

This has the 1-1/2" tooling arm correct? I think the every way platen arm would be a GREAT addition to my Reeder!

Not sure which you're asking about but both the KMG-TX and Reeder both have 1-1/2" tooling arm.
I'm thinking I may get the KMG work rest for my Reeder. Just wanted to make sure it was 1-1/2". Since the Reeder has the ability to go Horizontal i think the KMG work rest would work awesome!

Last edited:
Back