Knife #5, Please don't hurt yourselves laughing.

Joetrain

Ok, this one took forever because of some unexpected difficulties and new techniques i tried. However, there are some things I love about it even though the flaws are glaring. It sits in the hand great, the edge is super sharp, and the basic design i had in mind actually worked, even though the execution left something to be desired. I have never done so much peening and grinding to get the shape I wanted. As you can see from the picture on the right, I mis-measured the brass an had to use a file to even things out. Now it has that nasty glaring mark near the gaurd. Now I know why they say measure twice cut once.
IMG_1230.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1229.jpg

As long as you're improving and only making the same mistakes a few times, you're getting there. I like the double sweep to the guard and the proportions of it. As you accumulate more tools you'll find ways to work on the finish and even have some tricks to correct mistakes- I've gouged the ricasso a few times close to the bolster or guard and I have a sanding block I've made out of micarta with a slightly less than 90 degree angle specifically for getting into that corner.

but it cuts ? you said that it sits great in your hand and you finished it even it wasn't turning out the way you had in mind ? good work for a fifth knife. you have an idea on how you will not make the same mistakes in the future. looks like a rustic bowie to me. very good

As long as you're improving and only making the same mistakes a few times, you're getting there.
There is a very good point. Everyone has to start somewhere. Are there any knifemakers near where you live? It might not hurt to see if you can get a little professional instruction.

Joe,
There is nothing to laugh at here, Keep refining your designs and technics. As Gary mentioned, See if you can have some face to face in a shop with another more experenced maker?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Stay with it !!! You would be surprised how dedication , and more knives will do to get you where you want to be. As well you already have one you like ! Frank

You made a knife. That is what counts. It may not be your best, but that's the thing..Most of us would admit that we have not done our best work yet. Every knife on this forum may look great to you, but I'll bet that each indivisual maker could point out many problems with each one they make.

I am still working towards the day that I can make a knife without running into some sort of problem. I have not done one yet that I can say I was 100% pleased with. Honestly, I don't want to get to that point because if I do, where will I have room to improve?

Keep up the good work.

Joe I think your design has a cool individual flair, it is clearly yours. you might look into learning the buffer to put a finish to it and take out some of the work marks on it. you have to get the fifth one done before you can go to the sixth, so keep moving forward. I think you show some definite promise here, look forward to seeing the next one.

-SD

Back