Knife #8 WIP - For the Lamb Boys

Beautiful knife Erin,and thanks for posting the WIP. I'm envious of your obvious talent!

Hey PJ... did I meet you at Nick's last year. Are you the guy that used to shoot pool?... For some reason, I have it in my head that you are THAT guy. :D

Erin

Believe it or not Fletch, I rotated them exactly how I wanted them :eek:... One arrow pointing forward, one pointing back. I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this choice. Thanks.

Erin

I think you got it right Erin. :D

Hey PJ... did I meet you at Nick's last year. Are you the guy that used to shoot pool?... For some reason, I have it in my head that you are THAT guy. :D

Erin

No, that is someone else (I live in Phoenix and have never been to WA.) I would love to be able to meet Nick someday though; I spoke with him on the telephone once, and he was very cool and helpful to me!

Hey Guys...

I have two more of these knives to finish up. Y'all have any recommendations for other scale materials that would look good on it?

I'm thinking some sort of smooth/dense bone or antler might be cool... but have no experience with either.

Maybe a light colored curly wood?

Any ideas?

Erin

Stabilized Boxelder is a nice light colored wood that might be worth looking at.
Curly maple finishes nicely too.

Man, I need to get to this forum more often. This is a great WIP Erin! cool 1

Paul is welcome to come by, but apparently he thinks it's like a long drive from Arizona or something :confused: :p

The pool guy was Mark, and he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Keep up the great work Erin! 2thumbs

This is just a quick update to let folks know that I am still working on the other two knives in this series. I've had some heat-treats/hamons that didn't turn out as I would have preferred, so I have done some extra playing around in that regard.

Knife #8b (the second in the series... going to Josh) is pretty much all polished out. I still need to pull out the etcher and put some names on the blade, followed by a light final FeCl etch and polish. Last night I did some preliminary fitting and shaping of the guard.

4395367406_40404f7fba_o.jpg

I plan on using some stabilized amboyna burl on this one, and really darkening up the fittings. I think it will look good.

Knife #8c (Dave's knife) went through re-HT because the first hamon was small and ugly :mad:. This is the final clay layout.

4394598739_69c0461255_o.jpg

Preliminary results from HT look fairly good. 2thumbs ... but it will take some polishing/etching to reveal the complete story.

I don't plan on using any copper on Dave's knife (416ss and maybe something else for light contrast)... and plan on going with some of Masecraft's ivory substitute for the handle [EDITED 4/18/10: Handle material for #8c changed to stabilized giraffe bone from GiraffeBone.com]. I think it will be cooooool.:D

Erin

Last edited:
Looks great Erin. Can't wait for the updates. John

Thanks John...

and a few updates. ;)

As mentioned in my previous post, I am using stabilized amboyna on on Josh's knife as he leans toward orange colors. I picked up a couple of nice blocks from ArizonaIronwood.com.

Below is one of the blocks that I cut into scales for this knife.
4399743840_0d18858744_o.jpg

This next picture shows the knife as it sits right now. The guard was pinned/JB Welded in place last night. I fitted and drilled the scales this morning, but have not trimmed or glued them.

I honestly do not know why there is a rubber mallet on my surface plate... I don't think I used it recently. Must be the shop elves/gremlins. huh1
4398977903_f7c0ffbd99_o.jpg

I hope to break out the Acraglas and clamps this afternoon so the handle will be cured by tomorrow.

Erin

Oh... and I also got a nice surprise in the mail today.

I ordered 13" of Alternative Ivory Bar from Masecraft (for Dave's knife), along with a set of 5" bone dyed Imistag scales (just for fun). Well look what was in the box...

4399744238_82cf918a59_o.jpg

Not only were the Alternative Ivory Bar and the scales in the box but I also got a second smaller set of red Imistag, a pair of paper ivory scales, a short block of Alternative bone bar and a single bone scale. Thumbs-up to Masecraft for free samples. 2thumbs

Erin

Here are a couple more photos to cap off the weekend (I work 4-10s, so Monday is the end of my weekend :D).

The first photo shows my epoxy set-up. Basically I just throw a sacrificial piece of cardboard on my bench and go to town. I mix the Acraglas epoxy in whatever I can find... in this case the plastic packaging for some office supply or another. Notice the gloves... these are IMPORTANT. The way do things, epoxy get everywhere. I bought a box of these glove from Harbor Freight, and they work awesome 2thumbs. I before epoxy, I wipe all the mating surfaces with alcohol to make sure that they're clean.
4400035040_7689d36e24_o.jpg

And here's knife #8b all clamped-up for the night.
4399267745_b54718919e_o.jpg

Erin

Boy do I feel like a chump. :(

A few posts back we had a discussion about my orientation of the mosaic pins on knife 8a... how I had purposefully turned them how I wanted them. Well, this morning I had a major "DOH" moment that Homer would be proud of.

So as of my last post, I had everything glued and clamped. Last night I removed the clamps and did some quick profile grinding of the handle scales to take them flush with the tang (using an old 40-grit ceramic followed by one of the economy belts that Pop's sells in 120-grit). Below are a couple of photos.

Profile grinding (yes, that is a vacuum hose between my legs. No, I'm not just happy to see you.)
4404784073_f0fc069920_o.jpg

Results
4405547554_16086136a2_o.jpg

4405547460_c8c3202a73_o.jpg

So, in my mind, everything is good.

A few minutes ago, I'm sitting in a restroom stall here at the office browsing back through this thread on my iphone... and I see that post from Fletch talking about mosaic pin orientation. BAM... an alarm goes off in my head. "Oh crap". If you zoom in on the last photo above, you'll see that - sure enough - I forgot to align my mosaics. :eek:

Is it worth it to try to drill these bad-boys out? Or should I just leave it and call it a learning experience? I'm afraid that if I try drilling, I'll have a tough time and possible poor alignment to the new hole. Any words of wisdom from voices of experience???

Last edited:
Looks great Erin!! Can't wait for more pics. The handle material looks fantastic! John

Boy do I feel like a chump. :(

A few posts back we had a discussion about my orientation of the mosaic pins on knife 8a... how I had purposefully turned them how I wanted them. Well, this morning I had a major "DOH" moment that Homer would be proud of.

So as of my last post, I had everything glued and clamped. Last night I removed the clamps and did some quick profile grinding of the handle scales to take them flush with the tang (using an old 40-grit ceramic followed by one of the economy belts that Pop's sells in 120-grit). Below are a couple of photos.

Profile grinding (yes, that is a vacuum hose between my legs. No, I'm not just happy to see you.)
4404784073_f0fc069920_o.jpg

Results
4405547554_16086136a2_o.jpg

4405547460_c8c3202a73_o.jpg

So, in my mind, everything is good.

A few minutes ago, I'm sitting in a restroom stall here at the office browsing back through this thread on my iphone... and I see that post from Fletch talking about mosaic pin orientation. BAM... an alarm goes off in my head. "Oh crap". If you zoom in on the last photo above, you'll see that - sure enough - I forgot to align my mosaics. :eek:

Is it worth it to try to drill these bad-boys out? Or should I just leave it and call it a learning experience? I'm afraid that if I try drilling, I'll have a tough time and possible poor alignment to the new hole. Any words of wisdom from voices of experience???

I say leave them. I don't think it would bother many people. If you try to drill them out there is a good chance you will be re-doing the finger guard as well. I think it looks great! D

I say leave them as well...
There is always a problem when a new hole is involved:rolleyes::D
...sorry someone had to say it

I would have never noticed until it was pointed out. It's fine. John

Back