Knife For Biirithday Boy

DonL

Some of you may have read my post about the first knife I actually sold recently. This is the one. The blade is Aldo's 1095 in 5/32nd. The blade is about 3 3/4". The scales are stabilized spalted Maple with black G10 liner. 1/4" mosaic pin and 4 1/8th brass pins. File work on the spine.

DSCN0110.jpgDSCN0108.jpg

Critiques and comments welcomed. Thanks for l@@king!

Attachments

• DSCN0106.jpg
    DSCN0106.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Interesting handle design....distinguishing! Looks like you have a winner, and I really like that spalted maple!

Thanks Eric. That's the third knife I've done of that design. It's one I doodled last year and had some scrap metal and thought "I'm gonna make this and see how it turns out".

The first one was a clip point and I messed up the grind lines. So I threw it in the "until I have enough experience to fix it" pile (which is quite large!)

So I started another one and it turned out okay. It actually feels good in the hand and it had a clip point as well.

Fast forward to a week or so ago and I dug out the original and started playing around with it now that my grinding is better. I was actually able to get the grind lines pretty decent, although the knife is really thin now. There was something I didn't quite like about the clip point so I ground it down to a drop point and left it on my bench.

Then the neighbors showed up looking for a knife for their. They liked Knife #2 of this design, but didn't like the scales. I agreed to sell them Knife #1 since it was still without scales and agreed to put spalted maple on them. But after they left, I was cleaning up the blade and just didn't like giving a boy such a thin knife plus the file work on the original was a pattern I was practicing and it wasn't as pretty. I knew what would probably happen if I gave this boy the thin Knife #1. So I made Knife #3, the one you see above!

Back