Knife from Saw blades

foosc911

I picked up an old saw blade and metal... I was told the saw blade is from an old brush cutter... The other from an old saw mill... Expect it might be a planner blade. The old saw blade is 19" and the planner blade is 20"... The planner blade is about 3/8" think.. Any general advice making a knife out of them? Working with old blades? I have done some work with 1095 steel.

Attachments

• SawBlade1.jpg
    SawBlade1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Metal.jpg
    Metal.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 22
The "planer blade" I would forget about. Take what you learned working the 1095 and use it on the saw blade. Years ago the skill saws were all metal. I blaced cut off discs in the one I had and used it to help profile the blades I was making. It's true that theat blade probably has the same hardness from tooth to center but after cutting I believe it will need to be rehardened. Frank

Frank, what's the problem with planer blades? I would think they would have a good steel with a decent amount of carbon. Of course, either saw blade or planer blade would be annealed for profiling, drilling, etc, the require a full heat treatment to make a good blade.

I am NOT an expert and have not used a planer blade for a knife, only it planers, so I bow to your knowledge.

Ken H.

A lot of planer blades are difficult to anneal and on top of that they have a tendency to be brittle and hard to sharpen. I remember years ago a maker who would use only them was running around telling everyone that would listen that he was working in D2. Just a bit of an untruth since they were one of many make ups D2 can have. Many of the old saw blades were good carbon steel, but by the time you size them, clean them and grind them in way or another, why I think t would be much cheaper to go out and buy some 1080 or 1085. On the other hand, why not use them if you wish? Frank

Thank you for the info Frank. I did not realize planner blades could give that problem. Your comments on the amount of work involved in using "salvage" steel echos my own thinking. I started out making knives with the idea of using "salvage steel "myself by forging. While I still enjoy "beating iron", the amount of work involved, and never knowing exactly what steel I had, AND how cheap (in real terms) 1084 from Aldo (or other places) moved me from a forger to a stock removal frame of mind.

Ken H>

Thanks for all input... I will forget the planer blade... Overall it not the cost on new steal... it is the adventure...

Thanks
Randy

Back