Knife just sold at auction

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Hey guys...I had a knife auctioned off at an Elk Foundation event. I wasn't there but heard about it from a friend. He said one of his buddies was trying to win it but bailed out at $400....and said that the knife went for well over $400. There were multiple guys battling over it...Sweet. I didn't want some rich guy to just scoop it with a single bid as you have no idea of the level of interest.

These charity auctions are typically peopled by very generous people who have enjoyed libations....lol. AND since it's a fund raiser things typically go for more than they would sell for....Still, I'm excited it went for that as I have made changes to the small edc/cowboy knife which make it more appealing...but add expense. So I'm always stressing to find that balance point.

the sheath maker told me the knife was the best looking one I had made...a week before the auction he said "that one is going to do real well..." He's also a knife collector who has made suggestions for my knife each of which have proven to be right on track.

His sheaths for my knife are a bit over $130...the knife I made for the charity event would have priced out at $180...so the combo would have been $310. I have a production sheath in development but it will not be any cheaper than his...In fact it may cost me a bit more to make...but the prototypes are very clean looking...I hope that they will be well received. $300 zone is much more than I wanted to sell at.

I have finally come to the realization that I may not be able to be "Joe production guy" and will maybe make less of them and charge what they cost. Just simply not gonna cut corners on quality to keep prices down...(John Wilson may have told me that's how it would end up...lol)

Anyhoo...just an update on my journey...I keep saying I'm almost ready to start selling...but the time sinkhole of development always seems to drag me back to a redesign...lol.

I'm almost ready to start selling...(lol...seriously)

Wonderful but well deserved result for your knife Ted. Finding niche market is about as good as it gets for the knife maker so I do hope that as you finalise your design criteria that you find the market you have aimed for. Best wishes fir all the success your skill (and patience) deserves.

Thanks Garry!

I just got off the phone with the sheath maker. he said if we used a machine to click them out and then machine sew them...he has a simpler design that he feels would bring the total price way down.

It is interesting that when I called him he had already been working on a solution on his own. I would love for him to get involved in the production making...I do not think there are enough hours for one guy to make a semi-production knife and sheath combo. I'm still going to finish out my framed sheath idea as it has application on other knives...but a simpler sheath would be a huge help. I do love clean simple sheaths...

Big congratulations!

That's a huge deal and well deserved.

Most of us know the time and effort you've been pouring into your knife work.

The company I work for does a lot with the Wounded Warrior project and they put on big dinner/auction/fundraiser that I've been thinking about donating a knife to.

Big congratulations!

That's a huge deal and well deserved.

Most of us know the time and effort you've been pouring into your knife work.

The company I work for does a lot with the Wounded Warrior project and they put on big dinner/auction/fundraiser that I've been thinking about donating a knife to.
Mike I find that since there is no dollar amount attached you can be creative as you wish...and it does feel nice to just put a smile on folks faces for a good cause! That would be a great cause to donate to...just stay up on deadline..lol. I've had a couple close calls....

Well deserved congratulations!

Ted, keep in mind you can always offer two tiers, the way gun makers do. There’s the clean, solid production model and then there’s the “Custom Shop” where people with discriminating taste (and the checkbook to match) want something extra special.

Good for you Ted!! Your dedication to your charities and church make you a timeless individual. Today's man and woman have no time for the basics of life and that is where it all begins and ends. We never understood where the basics that family and the trials and tribulations of life it going to carry us! Yet is always seems to carry us back to basics!

Oh and by the way doesn't it feel good to make that sell, that says, "wow I might just be doing more than OK at this" ! Even if you didn't get the money.

Don't sell yourself short, charities are were people go to spend but, they don't do that for a mediocre item!

Awesome! Was it the knife with the white handle and brown leather sheath??
No...i was so rushed I did not get pictures...I used a corian named "hickory wood" which did look like hickory! and orange liners...did not make a lanyard knob but told the fellow to tell the new owner I would free of charge if he wished.

My sheath maker thought it was the best looking "color combo" to date...his sheath had an orange tint that really brought out the liners.

Back