Knife pics...the agony is close to over..

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
So one tid-bit that OPB shared was "floating" the knife off the background. So I soldered a rare earth magnet to a couple 3/32 rods and mounted them to a small adjustable angle plate. this allows me to hide the rods behind the knife and achieve the floating look. I'm shooting wide open...this keep the background blurry and the knife sharp. I still have work with lighting to do as you can see...but this so far is the best indoor pic I've taken.
IMG_1590.jpg

Here's what the setup looks like...not fancy but when I get the thing figured out I think it will be usable in the long term. My son came up with the plastic drinking cups as diffusers...they work well. It's a lot of trial and error...but i am learning to be able to look at the shot and see what the camera is going to take without getting "sucked into the shot" visually...

IMG_1591.JPG

Ted, that test picture is too cool ! Keep it up and we'll be sending you our knives for photos. !
Thanks BJMac...I'll prolly never get 'em that good...I'm just trying to make clean "stock" pics for my webpage...that doesn't take a lot of "artistic arrangement"...lol

So one tid-bit that OPB shared was "floating" the knife off the background. So I soldered a rare earth magnet to a couple 3/32 rods and mounted them to a small adjustable angle plate. this allows me to hide the rods behind the knife and achieve the floating look. I'm shooting wide open...this keep the background blurry and the knife sharp. I still have work with lighting to do as you can see...but this so far is the best indoor pic I've taken.
View attachment 69394

Here's what the setup looks like...not fancy but when I get the thing figured out I think it will be usable in the long term. My son came up with the plastic drinking cups as diffusers...they work well. It's a lot of trial and error...but i am learning to be able to look at the shot and see what the camera is going to take without getting "sucked into the shot" visually...

View attachment 69395
That looks really nice!

Looks good Ted. This is an area we all struggle with as the visual is often all that people/potential customers see without hands on exposure to our knives so any improvment to our pics is a wim for us a. Thanks to OP we may all take something from this

Putty gives you the same effect and is easily moved to reposition the knife.
Great idea!

This is about the best I can do so far...took this this morning. Getting it sharp is tricky ....light is ok.

001.jpg

Hey...I downloaded a free photo editing software called "Gimp"....works good! I barely know how to use it but can correct color and minor exposure issues, etc.

I really like the corian, Ted, the photo really shows it.

The thing I think I just learned from your picture is that when taking pictures of knives the angle of the light reflects the different angles of the blade's flats and grinds. Sort of the way I would have done a detailed pencil drawing of the steel. Your picture accents and does justice to the work you put into grinding. Not only that but assembling and designing the knife, too - even to the point of your signature. That's all something I'll keep in mind in the future.

Back