KnifeDogs - Kitchen Passaround

StephanFowler

Alright, so I am going to make a knife for passaround here.

we just need to decide on size, style, steel, etc.

Gyuto, Nakiri, French Chef, Cleaver, petty, santoku???

W2, 1084, 52100, damascus???

handle style - Octagon, "D", western, other??

any other thoughts / input????

I would love to get my hands on one similar to the last one Stephan. That piece looked like a beast!

How about a Santoku in W2 with an octagon handle in Curly Maple with waterbuffalo horn spacer.

I'd prefer an integral gyuto much like the last one. Octagon handle might be nice, but less important. I don't have a strong option on steel choice because I rather doubt that I'll be able to tell a difference in a passaround period.

I think a Gyuto is best for a pass around as it's easer to give you feed back B/C most have used one & can compare to ones they like.
52100 would be my # 1, 52100 in a Damascus mix even better...might not get that back (;

Well I loved your last one but I do like Murph’s material choice for the handle.
W2 or 52100 like them both. How about 5160, it would have a nice patina if/ I mean when you got it back.

Would really like to give it a try say around early July, when the garden is really coming off.

Todd

I am so in, I would love to try out one of your knives.

I am with murph on this one!! :)

I love a good Santoku

I too would love to be in this pass around . Any type of knife would work for me , as I use one of two Russel - Green River knives I own for most of my kitchen cutting . A change would be welcome .

I guess if we're weighing in on handle material as well. I'd like to see someone use this on a kitchen blade........

Pyinma-Copy.jpg

Great lookin handle material Larry. I just made recommendations on my idea of the ideal chef knife. I look forward to test driving whatever you decide to make.

Stephan if you like it, send me a PM with your addy again, and I will send you a block for your passaround, on the house. Its stabilized already and is 1 x 2 x 8 in size.

Larry

Stephan thanks for the PM, got your addy and the long block is on its way down to you now. I think you will like it. Larry

I'd also LOVE to get in on this one. I've been really, really blow away by all the stunning stuff you've been turning out. I'm always a fan of flatter shaped edges and have a sweet spot for Chinese style cleavers. However, I'd be really thrilled to get my hand on anything that you've made. I've recent started to get into making knife videos and a beautiful subject is always easier to film :)

I'd also LOVE to get in on this one. I've been really, really blow away by all the stunning stuff you've been turning out. I'm always a fan of flatter shaped edges and have a sweet spot for Chinese style cleavers. However, I'd be really thrilled to get my hand on anything that you've made. I've recent started to get into making knife videos and a beautiful subject is always easier to film :)

a cleaver huhh,

that could be fun, I've never made a cleaver.

a cleaver huhh,

that could be fun, I've never made a cleaver.

Yeah I think that gyutos and slicers normally get all the attention as their the "sexy" knives, but I think that Chinese style thin cleavers are a lot of fun. I also like the straight edged Japanese knives like nakiris and usbas. However, I often find nakiris to be a little on the small / short side and usbas to be too thick and chuncky to work as all rounders.

I've often thought that it would be cool to do a kinda cleaver / gyuto hybrid: Something with more straight edge than a gyuto, but also with more length and alittle less height than a cleaver.

I actually just came across this:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takedamenkiri.html
chefknivestogo_2150_1783592

and I'm seriously thinking about picking one up just out of curiosity. My only reservation is that I've heard that some of Takeda's blades are pretty brittle.

Another interesting shape might be something like a kiritsuke, which might have broader appeal as it's still got a tip / more of a knife-like shape.
chefknivestogo_2145_653490

Anyway, I think that it would be really cool to take something kinda square and utilitarian and sexy it up with some really stunning metal work. I've been dying to get my hands on a 52100 or W2 blade with a nice differential "honyaki" style heat treat. Although, your sweet contrasty laminates would also look really sharp on a big broad blade surface like this.

Oh and one last thing to add in a completely different direction: there are very few really high quality western style boning knifes. Tojiro is, I believe, the only Japanese company making them. The only really nice custom example that I've seen was by Bill Burke (of course) . http://www.bladegallery.com/shopexd.asp?id=88203
88203_1_b.jpg

...or a filet:
88204_1_b.jpg

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there. SO MANY COOL KNIFES; SO LITTLE TIME. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Back