Knives to deliver to family members this weekend!

CTaylorJr

The 2 knives I am displaying below are for family members that will be delivered this weekend at a family get together. These knives are made from an old file that used to belong to my great-great-uncle John. He was a carpenter in the Clarksville, TX area until he retired in the early 70s.

My uncle (mom's brother) gave me a bag of Uncle JOhn's tools quite a few years ago since I am into wood work also. Well, I took the bag of tools and put them aside since I didn't want to use things that are the ONLY heirlooms we have for John. Speed up to 2010...

While organizing the garage a couple of months ago I came across the bag of tools. I opened it up and found that ALL tools were just like I had left them, wrapped in oily dishrags to prevent rust... All except one that is... Th BIG bas tard file was unwrapped and a bit rusty.

I knew that Uncle Doug was not doing as well as I would like him to be (may be his last deer season), and I knew that my mother had asked me several times in the past to recreate the soapstone carving of a knife she has, so I went to work on the file.

I annealed it in my little home brew propane forge, traced out what I wanted on it, and then went to the saw to cut it all out.

After cutting out, grinding, and all of the other prep work to 400, I did a heat treat in my forge. After normalizing 2 times, I took them to non-magnetic once again, let them sit a bit in the fire and then quenched in canola oil. Tempered them in the oven at ~400 degrees before final sanding and scaling...

Here are the results...

A drop point skinner for my uncle and a CLOSE representation of the soapstone carving my mother has from Sweden.

The skinner (shown before here)
DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

The knife modeled after the carving mom has...
DSC_0416.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

The skinner is scaled with mesquite. The little scandi type has a handle of dymondwood, antler, copper, hickory, and leather.

Both have been sharpened to where they need to be and I hope that the recipients this weekend will be as happy with them as I have been!

Charlie

Nice Charlie. I'm sure they will be more than pleased.
That little unit is a beauty!
Dozier

Thanks folks!

The little knife is one that I really don't want to part with! But, mom has asked me to make a real knife for her that matches the soapstone carved knife she bought in Sweden back in the 70s.

When I hand it to her there will be one condition that goes along with it; she updates the will to make sure I get it back! :lol:

Now that I have shown myself that I remember a little of this, I can get to making some out of real steel with known properties for use... Prepare for picture overload as I get rolling!

Charlie

Back