kydex forming question

graveyard

i have some kydex for a will im not sure if it 60. maybe 80. heavy ive used a toster oven to heat and plywood with a peace of foam bed rool to form .. but cant get it to form like i see on knifedogs ,can someone help a mutt out? thank,s

Grave, my neighbor is a retired plastic forming guy and helped me out when I was having the same issue. First off, you have to have enough foam to allow the Kydex to deform and shape itself to the knife, secondly, make sure that you're coming up to the right heat. Heat both sides of the Kydex by flipping it halfway through the "warming" time in the toaster oven. IIRC, most toaster ovens only have a heating element either on top or beneath the rack.

I'd make the bed roll at least 3/4" thick by doubling or tripling up layers, also, make sure that you hold pressure on it long enough to allow it to cool. If you're still having issues, try some of BossDog's Foam... it works very well.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I second picking up some foam from Boss. The thicker foam will work wonders for you.

do yourself a favor and buy good foam from Bossdude

THEN

Get yourself some sturdy pieces of wood/thick hard plastic and 4 good clamps

Cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight is also handy, along with a cheap toaster oven

Back