Landsknecht dagger

Justin King

I have been out of the loop for a while but just finished this piece up and wanted to share...
This dagger is inspired by an original circa 1520, which is associated with the Landsknecht mercenaries of that period and is now property of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (accession # 26.145.40). The original is referenced in an article which can be seen online here (a photo can be seen on page 36, fig. 4)- http://www.metmuseum.org/pubs/journals/1/pdf/1512722.pdf.bannered.pdf

Specifications:
16-3/4" overall, 11-7/8" blade, 1-3/8" wide and 1/4" thick at ricasso
Blade is 1084 steel, .240" thick at the ricasso
Guard and pommel are fabricated by hand 1018 mild steel
Gaboon ebony grip with 3 sterling silver ferrules Weight 14 oz, GOG is 1/4" in front of guard (at the plunge cut) Sheath has poplar wood core with vinegaroon-dyed 2-3 oz. leather outer and mild steel fittings

1-20-13 039 (2).jpg1-20-13-.2 003 (2).jpg1-20-13 032 (2).jpg1-20-13 049 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Very faithfully exicuted Justin. Beautiful. Some very nasty parring daggers on that link. They really ment business. It was a matter of life & death! I am fond of the German sword breaker.

I just visited your website and saw "...When fancy won't cut it" in the header.

Does this mean you will be going in a new direction for 2013.
I really like the way you are starting out the new year.

I just visited your website and saw "...When fancy won't cut it" in the header.

Does this mean you will be going in a new direction for 2013.
I really like the way you are starting out the new year.

That was my philosophy for the modern style knives I make, but I was making historical style daggers long before I started doing modern designs. I make these when I find the inspiration, which is about as predictable as a lightning strike, but I have no plans to stop.

Thanks again for all the feedback, this piece was a struggle to make, but very satisfying, especially after your responses.

Back