Lanyard on an Axe handle?

Mark Barone

Ok, probably not a good idea, but what are some of the unique uses of a lanyard? I can see on a neck knife for some extra grip. I don't hunt so I was wondering if there is a purpose on a hunting knife or larger knifes.

Ok, probably not a good idea, but what are some of the unique uses of a lanyard? I can see on a neck knife for some extra grip. I don't hunt so I was wondering if there is a purpose on a hunting knife or larger knifes.
I like the looks of a lanyard on a knife so most of my knives I make with a lanyard tube. Just my opinion, but on small knives it's more of a decorative touch but they do have there place on larger knives that are used for chopping and hacking. I can see the lanyard getting in the way for some things and dirty from others.

According to what I read in Wikipedia, lanyards were used originally to prevent from dropping the item they were attached to. One end of the lanyard would be clipped or tied to the body, such as a belt and the other end to the object. Old Webley revolvers had a lanyard that attached to the belt. A lot of marlin-spikes and other early marine knives had similar lanyards for the same reason.

It seems to me that most modern lanyards are much shorter. Presumably so they won't get tangled up in what ever the user is doing. I like them for their looks but I often wonder how useful a short lanyard is. Except for extracting the knife from where it sits in a sheath as Von Gruff pointed out.

I could see having a lanyard on an axe handle to prevent it slipping from your hand by wrapping the lanyard around the hand. On the other hand, an awkward swing of an axe that you can't let go of, might end up being very dangerous as well. So sixes to me as to whether a lanyard on an axe is a good idea.

I love the option of a lanyard even if I don’t use a lanyard regularly. When I find myself in a canoe or on the water in general, having a means to secure my knife is serious peace of mind.

That is often the use a lanyard is put to and some like them so they can let go of the knife and re gather it without having to put it down when doing some chores. Personally I dont like them and have never felt the need for one for any of the knife use I have been involved with in over 50 years of serious use.

I agree, Gruff. In actual use of the knife I do not like a lanyard. It’s always in the way. The exception being the short fob-type which does help pull it from the sheath and then drops out of the way when cutting.

After dropping countless tools into the water to be lost forever, I have come to accept lanyards as a welcome compromise between comfort and loss.

Back