Law Enforcement Knives

If it were me I would just make a straight blade with a pronounced straight drop point, with maybe a small area on top with serrations, black g10 scales with blue liners, a kydex sheath with a tec lok, and two rivet holes on the bottom so the tec lok could be removed and the knife worn around the neck.

gut hooks are nice but they do get in the way sometime's in tight places, obviously you need to provide a prototype to the chief and maybe a couple other officers for their input.
Yeah this is almost exactly what I was thinking

I would make one example complete with sheath for the chief to see and approve or change. Remember cops already carry about 20 pounds around their waist so I would keep the knives on the smaller side. I would not do the gut hook because your knife blade should be able to cut the seatbelt fine. Keep the scales, sheath and blade black if possible. If not, make a matte finish so it will not reflect light. They will love the blue G-10 liners. Remember their belts coud up to 2+ inches wide so you need to take that into account when making the sheaths. If you cannot turn the sheath upside down and shake it without the knife falling out, work on your design until it will pass that test. It must not not fall out of the sheath when they are running or fighting. Glass breaker on the pommel end would be helpful just keep it small. Good luck, that is a really cool job.

I would make one example complete with sheath for the chief to see and approve or change. Remember cops already carry about 20 pounds around their waist so I would keep the knives on the smaller side. I would not do the gut hook because your knife blade should be able to cut the seatbelt fine. Keep the scales, sheath and blade black if possible. If not, make a matte finish so it will not reflect light. They will love the blue G-10 liners. Remember their belts coud up to 2+ inches wide so you need to take that into account when making the sheaths. If you cannot turn the sheath upside down and shake it without the knife falling out, work on your design until it will pass that test. It must not not fall out of the sheath when they are running or fighting. Glass breaker on the pommel end would be helpful just keep it small. Good luck, that is a really cool job.
This is so great aswell I will take all this into consideration

Alright guys now here is another question I was gonna go with Cerakoted 80crv2 for the knife steel is this a good choice or should I pick a different steel type?

Stainless for sure. Cops don't always take good care of their stuff. Concealable is the most important feature. I carried a fixed blade on my belt for about two weeks. I found it was far too easy for a person to grab it and put it in me. The vest does very little to protect against knives.

Stainless for sure. Cops don't always take good care of their stuff. Concealable is the most important feature. I carried a fixed blade on my belt for about two weeks. I found it was far too easy for a person to grab it and put it in me. The vest does very little to protect against knives.
I've seen some horizontal sheaths that are carried in the front on the weak side that I think would work well. While not actually concealed I think it would be more difficult to grab one this way than a vertical sheath hanging on the side.

695566955769558Alright this prototype is just about done I’m really happy with how it turned out. I imagine if I get a chance to make some knives for the officers it will look a bit different than this but I figured this is a good base line and it’s something that the police chief can hold and tell me the things he does and doesn’t like

Looks awesome to me! I really like the blue liners with the black scales. I also saw some black and blue G-10 on USAknifemaker that would be cool for a LEO themed knife. -andy

Looks awesome to me! I really like the blue liners with the black scales. I also saw some black and blue G-10 on USAknifemaker that would be cool for a LEO themed knife. -andy
Yeah for sure! I was kinda on the fence about which one to use but I decided to just go with this one for the first knife of this style

Great looking knife! I think the only thing I would personally want is a little wider handle (top to bottom). If I were using it in a defensive situation I would want it to fill my hand a bit more. That's just me. Really nicely done!

As the father of a law enforcement officer, I have a couple of thoughts. Ask the Police chief how he will want his officers to carry these knives. Some may need to be belt carry while others such as a member of SWAT would want a knife to be carried on a tactical vest!! In which case an upside down carry on the vest or strap would work in the situation well. With a pressure on the blade type sheath. I would think maybe in all cases a kydex sheath will more than likely be used no matter the carry style!!

Seatbelt cutter may be nice, glass breaker, etc. etc. All of these ideas need to be considered but are they truly needed!!

The primary mission for such a knife is a fight for survival. The officers gun has either been compromised and he/she is in a life or death struggle for the officers life.

Simple is good, length would be minimal. They are not reenacting the Jim Bowie fight!! A simple 3" - 4" blades will do extreme damage!! They are taught the points that a blade plunge will do the most damage!

A handle that is easy to hang onto/grippy! Losing this knife would be absolutely devastating during a fight! Adrenaline will be pumping and the situation may involve sweat, blood, or a water situation! While a massive handle is not necessary, having a handle shape and a material that is easy to hang onto is!!

While they may be used for many purposes. This is primarily a last resort weapon to an officer! Or as they taught my son, you are not out of the fight, till you are out of the fight! You fight with one mission in mind and that is too win control of the situation, whatever that takes!!

Do yourself and the officers proud. This is going to be one of your best jobs. And one day if one of those officers walks up and says. Your knife saved my life!! Well that will your best day ever!!!

I like your prototype. As to handle shape and size and material. Make up a mockup with no blade or point and then have someone try to take it out of your hand. You hang onto it like it was your last resort. If the person can take it from you well......................

Back