Leatherlined Kydex for an Old Skool Busse

M

Martin Swinkels

For those who loath those kydex scratches..
This sheath is lined with stiffened and deep waxed veggie tanned leather that's riveted with the kydex..

Let the pics speak for themself..

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexshea.jpg

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexs-7.jpg

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexs-6.jpg

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexs-5.jpg

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexs-4.jpg

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexs-3.jpg

BusseSatinJackleatherlinedkydexs-2.jpg

All the best from the Low Lands,
Martin

awesome looking sheath!!!

BUT how is it done?

Do you put the leather oon the knife before you fold the kydex over?

THX

AL

Very interesting. I've seen kydex with leather on the outside but never the reverse. Do you glue the leather to the kydex? How's the retention?

I really like your component type setup. I'm working on a fighter for myself and playing around with ideas to do something similar for it. I like options sicne I almost always change my mind on how I like to carry a knife.

Charlie

Very nicely done, as always! I have to say that I, too, am curious about the process for this one, mainly because I would think that the temperature that the Kydex needs to be for molding would damage the leather.

~Noah

Thanks guys..

a few steps in the process:
First I wetmould the leather to the knife. and let it dry and set.
Around that the kydex wrap goes, but not before rewetting the surface of the leather again to take some of the heat of the kydex.
Once the kydex is stiffenend the edges around the opening get trimmed and sanded and the leather is treated with oil dye and after that my special heat treat procedure involving sno seal ;)
The leather is really stiff after that treat and the opening won't collapse, even if you try. The rest of the leather is riveted along with the kydex. There's no glue involved.
Finally the side edge is trimmed and sanded..

Retention is like kydex, the klack is there, but it's silky smooth and soft now.

The leather is deep waxed, and there's a huge gap in the bottom of the sheath, so moisture won't be a problem as long as the sheath can breath every once in a while. You could easily rinse it under water.

Martin... you're the best. I like very much your hybrid sheaths. You are a genius of combining leather and kydex.

Sly

Back