Lesson Learned

Joetrain

I was working on a miniature knife the other day, since I am still waiting for my next shipment of steel and I had some scraps laying around. I decided on a small deer antler for a handle and proceeded to carve an eagle head into the butt. I got carried away having fun and guess what I forgot to put on when I was grinding...That's right! My mask. I am finally feeling better, but I've spent the last two and a half days feeling like there was an elephant on my chest and fighting a dry hacking cough. You'd think a nurse would know better....

Been there done that- antler seems particularly nasty to breath. I have had to just make a rule for myself that whenever am grinding anything to where a mask.

Joe,
Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Hey, If you ever want to get rid of some people that are in shop?
Just grind some antler and they will clear right out! LOL.
I also have found that as the years roll by I am getting more senitive to all the Cr@p that we grind on. Keep the mask on!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The smell of antler when grinding reminds me of the days when I worked in a feed mill (a lifetime ago). Bone meal smells identical to ground antler.

My problem with lessons learned in the shop is I'm 72 and forget the lesson as soon as I walk out the door and repeat it as soon as I go back in. always wear a mask when I grind anything. I ground some antler a while back and when I walked back into the house our cat started hissing at me. I guess she doesn't like the smell either.

Back