Let us talk Bowie knives.

Guindesigns

No matter how you say it we all think of the same knife..or do we? I've seen soooo many different styles and patterns of this iconic knife that it raises the question. What makes a bowie knife a bowie? I've seen little, big, thick, skinny. some with guards some without. even some with quiet different looks to them. So again I ask what makes it a Bowie knife?

From what I've read the knife that Rezin Bowie gave to his brother James had about a 10" blade without a clip or a guard. How the other designs or designers came into the picture I can't tell you but this is probably the one knife that you can get into the most dispute about. From how the blade was designed and by who to if it was Jim Bowie or James Bowie or how the last name was pronounced.

Doug

Exactly what constitutes a Bowie has been controversial for as long as I can remember. I think it's one of those things that time has diluted to the point where it becomes a matter of opinion.

Personally, for no other reason then it seems to be the earliest account of a "bowie"..... I tend to think of the Rezin bowie when the term "bowie" comes up. Of course if you look at Frontier American history, the term "bowie" was applied to just about any large, dress type knife that was often carried as a status symbol. Oddly enough, most of those knives were English/Sheffield knives. Lots of muddy waters to sift through. :)

Back