Let's see your grinders!

My grinder

Everything doesn't have to be flat ground. I have been using this grinder for the last 5 years for hollow grinding. It was originally built by Rick Menefee but I had to slow it downtown be better able to control it. 18 inch wheel and idler made of wood. It is smooth running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 70
This KMG was built on a Makita mobile base so I could take it to shows for demos. It has a 6" drive wheel with 2hp power. The horizontal disc is a VS unit with 1 1/2 hp motor. It takes two people to set it up. :)
Hfy23lCuxDwKlgNljS0Rdy5WYkBDpsV_UPmpdrHCSvw=w840-h630-no
DSC00958.JPG

DSC01090.JPG

Last edited:
Everything doesn't have to be flat ground. I have been using this grinder for the last 5 years for hollow grinding. It was originally built by Rick Menefee but I had to slow it downtown be better able to control it. 18 inch wheel and idler made of wood. It is smooth running.

I like the Fred Flintstone wheels! Very cool!

I like the Fred Flintstone wheels! Very cool!

Here is one of my machines. My 2 x 72" Coote that I mounted on a dolly to be portable for demo's and sharpening work etc at Farmers Markets.

image.jpg I run a 1HP and Variable control on this one. image.jpg There can be many different configurations for a knife making grinder. Flat, Hollow, slack belt/Convex. The most common thing is being able to run a cost effective belt which is usally the 2 x 72" belt that's the best bang for the buck.

I think I have the exact 1x42 model as Rudy. I bought a leather belt for my 1x42, it works great for the final edge buffing

I built the wilmont EFFR grinder for most of my grinding. As you can see in the picture I should patent my yard sale wrench locking device.

I also have a Kalamazoo 2x72 that I use in the metal shop. I was pretty disappointed with the Kalamazoo but I still use it a bit.

Back