Let's talk TIG

Daniel Macina

It seems like a lot of makers are using TIG welders now. What are the advantages of TIG welding? I think you have to have your materials squeaky clean to TIG which you should with any weld but let's face it sometimes we don't. So what can you do with TIG that you can't with MIG or stick?

Really, when used in knifemaking applications, on Carbon/alloy steels, there isn't much advantage. Most feel that because they can weld without the use of an filler material, it's ideal, but unless very specific steps are taken, it's really no better then using a Stick or MIG.
What are those steps? Because of the intense heat, a vast amount of element segregation and grain crystallization takes place when using a TIG on carbon/alloy steels. After TIG welding, it's necessary to normalize, thermal cycle, and then anneal in order to get the steel's structure back to where it should be...... fail to do any of those steps, and it's not a matter of IF the weld fails.... it's a matter of WHEN. Don't get me wrong, there are some specific applications where a TIG can make or save a project....but only if the individual understands the ins and outs or using it on knife type steels.

Last edited:
I think the only application where it makes a lot of sense is when tack welding bars together for damascus. It only needs to hold until the forge weld is done. The advantagees are that you aren't introducing mild steel to the billet, that way you don't have to grind anything off after the forge weld, go right to reducing presses while the billet is still hot from the weld. Also, it doesn't inject any flux between the bars that an arch welder might do.

Thanks fellas! You pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I need to up my welding game as I only have a MIG welder that gets zero penetration. I had pretty much decided on a stick welder but I was seeing a ton of people using TIG so I figured I would check it out. I didn't see any benefit for my applications but figured I better check.

Daniel, what part of the process are you thinking of TIG with? What Materials? I would concur with the other posters that on the blade materials there is not much of an advantage but on hilt and fine detail work that will be fine finished there is nothing that can replace TIG. Want to weld any sheet stock for sheaths, scabbards or furniture? TIG it.

I have welded .030" silver with my TIG for a flawless seam. If you are welding iron or low carbon steel for hilting and you use SMAW, MIG or gas welds you will not have an invisible weld zone, the filler rod will be visible and will oxidize differently. I have even made filler rod out of the base material and used gas welding and that is when the real advantage of TIG is revealed. Almost any other type of weld will have some level of porosity, taking metal to the liquidus will evolve gasses. I use pure argon on my TIG unit and can all but eliminate gas bubbles. Some reading this will say that the other methods will produce porosity free welds, but I would tell them to weld it up, grind it smooth, polish it, and then bead blast it and watch all those gas bubbles that you have never seen before open up wide for you.

For everyday using knives, I can't see much advantage in TIG. But for high end, fine, jewelry type, metal work, it is worth every penny.

@Kevin R. Cashen it would mostly be used to tack up Damascus Billetts but I'm sure the occasion would arise to weld up a forge or do some finer work on a knife. I think I have pretty well decided on a stick welder for now. I'm sure the day will come when I want a TIG setup though. Might even get a stick welder that's capable of doing TIG as well. Plus with a stick welder I won't have to be buying all that Argon!

I use a 90 amp mig, it will weld 1/4" steel with .035 wire with no problem. I just crank it all the way up and feed the wire at a pretty fast speed.
on thinner steel like 1/8" and using argon this thing will put out excellent penetration, with factory looking welds.
For just around the knife shop or random welding a mig is the way to go, arc welding can be trickier having to start the arc and feeding the rod in as you go, mig on the other hand, as soon as you got the heat and wire speed set it's pull the trigger and go.
Like Kevin said, tig is somewhat of a specialized welding. as much as I'd like one and will probably - maybe get one one day it's really over kill for everyday shop welding projects.

Daniel, before you give up on your mig you should have someone that welds for a living take a look at it or even take it to a weld shop and ask them try it out. it could be corroded wire, a bad ground clamp or something wrong with the tip.

before you give up on your mig you should have someone that welds for a living take a look at it or even take it to a weld shop and ask them try it out.
I totally agree! When I first got my big MIG machine, I tried to follow the manual for settings.... it was a train wreck. I was ready to give the thing away, but luckily had a friend, who is a truly professional welder stop by..... he checked things over, changed the wire feed tip, adjusted wire speed, and several other settings..... along with some in depth explanations on how to adjust the machine and the signs to look for, that would indicate this or that needs adjusting...... WOW! Ya never know just how much you don't know.....until somebody who does know, steps in and lends a hand! :)

Back