Lightbox pics..how do they look?

I have a tutorial on a light box in the tutorial section, if Curtis wants to add to it thats fine. he can just copy everything into there!

Definatly STICKY material !

Boy am I stupid, LOL. Discovered my camera has Vibration Reduction and never had it on, LOL

Got the tri-pod anyway though. $13 at Walmart. Will play around with it and update results here.

-Josh

Curtis
I have been trying what you said. The shutter speed seems to be a huge difference. I have to adjust it everytime I change backgrounds or objects which isnt a big deal sense I know how now.

One thing I have noticed is the pictures have a yellow tint to them. I fix it in picasa by hitting the "im feeling lucky Button.

Here is an example.

newone.jpg

yellowtint.jpg

Sorry for the delay in responding gents. I had to take the little woman out to supper last night to make up for all the time I’m spending in the shop. She is quickly becoming a knife maker’s widow.
Thank you everyone for the kind words. Bigern, if you think it needs to be moved to the tutorial section feel free to do so, or you can tell me how to do it as I ain’t the most computer literate fella.  By the way, the light box was a great idea!
Shank, your photos are awesome! The shadows that are present are very soft and are desirable to have in the photo. As you continue to experiment you will find new ways to capture images that you should by all means share with the rest of us. Most of what I have learned has come from reading, listening to others, and of course screwing up regularly. Checking you exposures (shutter speed and f/stop) will help you learn about photography at an exponential rate. I will add that I was glad to read that you were manipulating the shutter speed. You keep doing that and it will all start to come together. If you want to try something that is really cool, shoot a few of your knives in black and white. Your camera likely has that setting as well.
As for the yellow color in your photos, it is being generated by your light source. That is the effects of ultra violet light on film (CCD for digital). The “daylight” or full spectrum bulb gives you “all” light including the light in the UV and infrared spectrum. Your idea of adjusting the color balance in Picasa appears to be working wonderfully and it is fine to do it that way; professional photographers “cheat” a little too. Something you may try though is fixing the problem before it gets into the camera, so here we go.
You should have a light setting on your camera allowing you to choose between different light sources such as sunlight or fluorescent. They may be labeled outdoors or indoors on your camera. Since you are using a full spectrum bulb you will need to choose “daylight” on your camera and this should take care of the yellowing problem. The camera will filter out the UV light prior to it getting to the camera’s film. Another way to do it is to filter the lens, and for SLRs this is the way to go. You can purchase a UV filter for around $8 bucks from B&H Photo and I think Wal-Mart carries them too. It will look almost like a clear piece of glass but don’t let that fool ya, they work great. Shank and anyone else who doesn’t use an SLR, you can actually tape the UV filter to the end of your lens (the corners of the filter of course ). I am all about saving a buck and come from a long line of bailing wire and duct tape fixer uppers.
Lens filters can open up a whole new world to you too. You can purchase filters to fog, soften, brighten, subdue or enhance specific colors, there are numerous variations you can try.
Hey Josh, way to go on the tripod! You will be amazed at what you can do with one of those things. The vibration reduction works quite well after about 4 beers too. 
I’ll check the board later today if anyone needs any help.
Curtis

You da man Curtis.
Thats the info i was looking for. I wanted to fix the "yellow" before it got to the camera. I noticed my best pics are the ones I edit in picasa and when i hit the "im feeling lucky" button nothing changes.Doesnt happen often.:eek:
Im going to walmart today and will look for the lense cover and the photography for dummies book.

Thanks again bro for your good words about my knives and pics and all the info you shared.

Still fooling with the lightbox but to be honest I'm still not sure about white balance and other manual settings or if I even need to use the manual settings.

I took these today.
Light box the same as before.
Camera set to 7 MP
Vibration reduction on.
Macro on.
Camera on tripod
used timer to take the pics.

Let me know what I still need to do for improvement fellas. One thing I'm planning on trying is a reflector in front of the box on the ground to try and further reduce shadows.

2FeathersBowie001.jpg

2FeathersBowie003.jpg

2FeathersBowie005.jpg

2FeathersBowie006.jpg

2FeathersBowie009.jpg

Thanks alot, Josh

Back