liner lock liner material options

Travis Fry

I think I'm about to start making liner locks. I've been doing my research and I know everyone uses titanium for liners. I understand the reasons it's the best thing, and will eventually get some. In the meantime, are there other viable options for liner material that are less expensive while I'm learning?

I've got some .040" 304 stainless that I've used as liners on a lockback and some other stuff that seems like it'd function well enough to lock a blade and hold it. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it?

The lock up will polish with the stainless and will slide releasing the blade.

I have a liner lock that was made with 416 and it will slip and the blade will unlock.

You can go to a hobby shop and get a thin piece of brass. I used this on my first liner lock. Used it for a year with no problems.

Travis, you can use 400 series stainless if you heat treat it. It has to have a spring to it. Titanium is the best way to go. It's really not that much. Tracy should have what you need.

That's the plan. Since Stan is only about an hour away (maybe less) I think I'll head up that way as soon as I get another CPA exam section done, which means around Christmas.

Back