Little hamon line blade - Finished Pics added

Nice line with that complexity showing up! Very nice blade, too, with the slightly wider drop point. Not to mention the not-too-shabby handle material in the background. :)

I like the blade shape. Looks like a useful hunter/utility. The stacked leather looks pretty good.

What are the marks/shiny patches on the ricasso and just ahead of the plunge line? They are in both the pre finish and finished pics. I thought the pre finish pics were just a quick rough etch and that area would be cleaned up when finished. It looks like decarb.

This is my favorite blade profile out of the ones you’ve don so far. The hamone is cool looking as well to my eye. Whose knives do you look at for creative inspiration?

This is my favorite blade profile out of the ones you’ve don so far. The hamone is cool looking as well to my eye. Whose knives do you look at for creative inspiration?
Thanks Kevin. Mostly when I design a blade I start off with a general length and then just sketch it out. I'm not sure I follow any particular design. But I'm sure browsing hundreds of finished blades has a cause and effect on how I preceive the blade should look. I do like the rounded spine like several members here finish their blades. I also like J. Doyle's style of jimping.

I like the blade shape. Looks like a useful hunter/utility. The stacked leather looks pretty good.

What are the marks/shiny patches on the ricasso and just ahead of the plunge line? They are in both the pre finish and finished pics. I thought the pre finish pics were just a quick rough etch and that area would be cleaned up when finished. It looks like decarb.
Thanks John, glad you think the stacked leather looks pretty good and the blade shape.
I hadn't noticed the marks, I'll have to check those out today. As far as the marks on the handle end of the ricasso I'm not sure. it's definately not decarb since I sanded that area to 400 grit and it came out this way after the quench. I wonder if it has someething to do with the transition areas between areas of the quench. I typically do not quench the full length of the tang.

Back