Little Johnny

Self Made Knives

Picked this up yesterday from a knifemaker that can't pound steel anymore due to health problems following a car wreck. He said he only used it a couple times and it looks like that's true. Any of you every used one of these Little Johnny's? Appears it was made here in Arkansas but there's only one video on youtube of anyone using one and that was Lin Rhea a long time ago. photo 1.JPG

Hmmm....my last comment and CCraft's comment are gone? What happend here? Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had a forge like this and could give me advice on propane tanks. Will a BBQ grill size tank work ok? Should I try to get a bigger one? Or, do they all flow at the same rate anyway? Do the tanks ever freeze up? I need to pick up another tank for this forge so I can try it out this weekend. It's only supposed to be 99 degrees here, so it should be fun!

Forgecarrier004.JPGDang Anthony, I thought I was losing my mind. I was pretty sure I had posted to this thread! So at the risk of causing it to disappear again, I won't mention any thought of jokes.

However, have you fired it up just to see what it will do?? As far as the tank freezing, this was my solution!! I built a carrier out of light 1/2" square tubing. Fasten the BBQ type tanks in and roll up to it with a dolly slide it on and bungee cord it down and you are off and running!!

Once the two tanks are on the rack hook-up the manifold. Tied together like this you don't have to worry about freeze up!!

Man I hate photobucket holding my pics at ransom. However I got another one out!!

Last edited:
Well, it may have it's uses then. The two tanks manifolded together will pretty much stop the freeze up problem of that size of tank!!

Question how hot is the area where the hose comes into the burner hook-up, when its been running for a while?? You might want to hard pipe it and lower the connection of the hose from the tank to below the actual heat of the forge, to reduce a chance of line failure!

Question how hot is the area where the hose comes into the burner hook-up, when its been running for a while?? You might want to hard pipe it and lower the connection of the hose from the tank to below the actual heat of the forge, to reduce a chance of line failure!

I've only ran it a couple times for 15 or 20 minutes each and nothing seemed hot at all. I was kind of worried about the hose too, but it's far enough away it didn't even feel warm. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with it once I figure out how much air vs. propane to use and how to control the temperature. I'm pretty spoiled with an Evenheat and knowing the exact temp all the time.

Looks like Little Johnny is cooking right along! Now you got to show the finished product!!! :)

Back