Live and Learn

Holding the blade was exactly what my OP was about in that thread.
Perhaps I wasn't clear, sorry. When I get to where I need to take "a little off the tip" so to speak, I hold the blade by the tang with one hand, and the other one is only used for applying light pressure to the blade where I need to remove material, not supporting the blade. Another thing that I tend to do, which seems to help for me, is leave the tip thick until the rest of the blade is finished, and do this last, at a higher grit, usually 220.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, sorry. When I get to where I need to take "a little off the tip" so to speak, I hold the blade by the tang with one hand, and the other one is only used for applying light pressure to the blade where I need to remove material, not supporting the blade. Another thing that I tend to do, which seems to help for me, is leave the tip thick until the rest of the blade is finished, and do this last, at a higher grit, usually 220.
No, you were clear. I just said "holding" in the general sense referring to the other thread.

i have a smooth patch on either thumb that is really heat sensitive for this purpose... kinda serendipitous how it came about and how it functions... it is also a lot cleaner than any other part of m y thumb...

I always grind freehand for flat or hollow grinds......a tool rest restricts my movements too much......when i am grinding very thin fillet knives etc I use about 4 of those little rare earth magnets and an appropriate size backing bar and it gives me plenty of thickness to support the blade on my fore finger.........also very handy to hold real small objects on the grinder.......those little magnets are amazingly strong.....also a glass platen is not needed

Back