LN vs Dry Ice for aeb-l?

DanF

From what I have gleaned on different sites, dry ice will lose you up to about 1 point on the rhc scale.
Any thoughts from those here with real world experience with LN and dry ice? I know LN is the cat's butt for cryo, but is it a necessity for aeb-l?
Thanks,

Full disclosure: I do dry ice. Before I was doing my own heat treat I was having Peters Heat Treat do the cryo, which is actual cryo. I have no doubt that under a microscope and with lab equipment someone could find a difference, but in real life actual usage I can tell no difference in the results whatsoever.

Thanks John, that squares up with what I have read from others. I guess someone might have the ability to tell the difference in say a hardness of 63 vs 64 in use, but that would not be me.
Personally, I love the patina of an aged carbon steel blade but I am running into more requests for SS.

It seems that stainless is finally losing its stigma among knife nuts as more people discover that high end stainless knives aren’t remotely the same thing as the department store stainless blades we all grew up on.

For the casual knife user, stainless is the only way to go because most people today have never owned a carbon steel blade and have no concept of how to care for one. Patina looks all kinds of wrong to them because they’ve never seen it before, much less looked forward to it.

I have only done the dry ice myself. But it was always my understanding that AEB-L simply did not need the cryo treatment, only the sub-zero.

It is unfortunate, in my mind, that so many people only want stainless. I gave in for a while and did a few stainless blades. I still have some AEB-L from those days laying around but the part I enjoy the most is the forging. At least when I was buying aeb-l, the thickest you could buy was 0.130" which is really just too thin to forge in my mind. Anyways, I've since changed my mind and no longer do stainless. But this is just a hobby for me!

Back