"loaded up" scotchbrite belt

zbq

Hey guys, I have a medium grit scothbrite belt that a buddy used and the surface of it is "loaded up" with
metal. He used it on a sword to take some scratches out. I don't know how long he used it since I wasn't in the shop with him
but when I went to use it the next time, the surface of the belt was obviously loaded up with metal and not nearly as
abrasive as it should be. Is there a way to "renew' the surface or some way to get some more life out of these belts?
They're too dang expensive to load up that quick. I had used it a few times before that on a few hunters but nothing significant.

One thing I just thought of, it's the Klingspor non woven medium grit I bought from Tracy.
Not a "Scotchbrite" brand.
Not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've never tried it, but I would think you could wash one out with a mild detergent and then spray it with water. Of course you'll need to allow it to dry afterwards prior to using it. Of course, my reasoning could be wrong. I'm someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

You might want to try those rubber like blocks they use to renew belts with.You just force it into the belt as its running and it pulls out the clogged grit.
Its worth a try anyway.
Doug

I thought of that but was afraid that since its more of an "open" grit, that the belt cleaner would just load it up even more.

Anybody think it's safe to try a rubber belt cleaner?
I'm not sure. I don't to ruin it completely by loading it up even more.

You might want to try those rubber like blocks they use to renew belts with.You just force it into the belt as its running and it pulls out the clogged grit.
Its worth a try anyway.
Doug

Also, they way the metal looks "packed" into the weave, I'm thinking it's going to take some kind of "mechanical" persuasion to get it out. I'm not sure about washing it with mild soap unless there was some sort of mechanical abrasion uses too.

Also, they way the metal looks "packed" into the weave, I'm thinking it's going to take some kind of "mechanical" persuasion to get it out. I'm not sure about washing it with mild soap unless there was some sort of mechanical abrasion uses too.

I used all four Scotch Brite belts a lot and it sounds like he got the belt way too hot and the steel grit is melted into the material?
Sorry, It sounds like it's trashed unfortunately.

These belts work by moving the surface metal in a consistant even pattern. There really shouldn't be any "Grit" stuck in it.

$25.00 each plus shipping last time I bought them.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Sounds like Laurence is right. Scotchbrite belts will definitely melt if they get too hot. When I use them I check the blade temp often and make sure its not too hot to touch. I also keep a can of WD-40/LiquidWrench close by and occasionally give the belt a good long shot while running. This helps keep the belt and blade cool and also gives a slightly finer finish.

You guys may be right but I have seen on another forum where they said to blow them with air from the backside.
Air may get the loose stuff free then you have to contend with the rest.

Put the belt in your washing machine on the heavy duty cycle, and use a triple dose of Tide.

This will not save the belt, but $25 belts will now seem cheap compared to the divorce lawyer. :3:

Seriously, the only one of these I ever killed prematurely was by overheating it on a bunch of bars that came back from waterjet with surface rust. It rescued nearly $2000 worth of steel before I wrecked it so I'm not grumbling. I guess the suggestion is - don't put $50 worth of work into saving a $25 used belt.

Rob!

Thanks guys, you might be right, it might have gotten too hot. The way it looks, that actually makes sense

I actually just went out and took a pic of it.
See what you think.
I think you guys are right, it got too hot. :34:

belt.jpg

You may have gotten it to hot. But, they can be blown out and washed out; I have done both. Do not use a rubber belt cleaner on them, it will melt in and leave streaks on your metal. I have run the belt against a stiff wire brush, but only after the belt was on its last legs; it seemed to work pretty well.
Just my $.02.

If it was me I'd replace it instead of taking a chance on scratching up a new blade beyond repair with that belt. I read it quite a few times. "Treat belts like they're free" . They aren't as we all know, but it sure saves headaches later.

From the pic this belt is TOASTED!
I wouldn't put it in a washing machine ether. you wife wouldn't like that at all! Not to mention the steel dust in the machine.
I know my clothes are covered in it and they get washed there but I wouldn,t press on the machine.

Laurence
Www.westsidesharpening.com

Thanks guys. I think it's toast too.
I'm not going to use it for knives, but I think I will keep it just for things like
cleaning up the mower blades etc. It's definitely not worth messing up a blade that I have
put a lot of work into.

Back