Lonestar Knife Expo

wardog

The Lonestar Knife Expo was a bust!
The show was put in with a gun show and everyone knows the Knife world suffers when they were put together with a gun show. We were told we would have our venue but in truth the knife tables were shoved in a corner with no advertising or signs so that people wanting to find knives could do it easily. The doors closest to the knife show was locked so everyone had to fight their way through the people willing to pay high prices for guns and ammo. If you were lucky you left early so the pain would stop! We need a association here in Texas that understands the need for a stand alone show. BTW it was also planned on a NASCAR weekend in Dallas which is something everyone in Texas knows is something you never do in Texas. Does anyone know of a single outlet for advertising knife shows only? Oh Well, On to AG Russell!

That's too bad I had a really good show... It was great to meet Darrel Ralph, Everyone from Martin Knives, Johnny Stout, Chris Rowland and others...

I do agree a better show needs to be put on but are there really enough makers and buyers to support it? I only saw enough to fill a very small convention room...

A lot of knife makers both sellers and buyers won't do a show if it's guns AND knives. The Texas shows used to fill the venues and sell out the tables. We need a stand alone venue with Advertising both prior to and signage at the site to get people in with out a hassle. The move to Dallas was done for several reasons but mostly for the money end as I understand it. It's great you had a good show Craig Brewer sold out before the show started on Friday and a few sold a couple of knives. The suppliers didn't do well at all. Did you notice the empty tables that's not a good sign. Some makers left as early as Saturday afternoon. Maybe next year!

Yep, no real advertising was done for the show.

The media/camera ban was unacceptable.

It was a gunshow & gunshow crowd, don't have much to add on top of the OPs comments....

If your a local it was on network TV, Bill boards, and radio... most buyers where at Nascar...

Yes the setup did seem like an after though... The DACA show is more of a good ole boy setup... As in all of the DACA members take up the best tables up front (which makes ZERO sense) I think they put on the show as an excuse to hang out on weekends...

This was my first so maybe I am a little green in seeing how they get better.

If y'all could post exactly what everyone would like to see in a North Texas show I think it would help to get someone to do it.

i.e. how big, where, how much per table, how many tables, what kind of signage, etc, etc.

Truly I would like to see the show in a central spot in Texas! That way you could get all the Texas Knife people and the surrounding states as well. You can't just advertise in Dallas for the Dallas show and expect people from Houston, El Paso, Austin or places in between to see them. Signage needs to be on the street around the show and on the building giving directions to enter. Table cost around $250 seams reasonable. As for the number of Tables that would depend on a lot of factors like number of suppliers, commercial interests ect. Has anyone tried a show near Ft Hood? it's central to the state has lots of restaurants, Hotels at reasonable prices, several convention centers and lots of knife loving people. I realize everyone wants a show in their back yard, but central so everyone gives a little. Just my thoughts.

I was there with a table. I took 21, sold 2. Got some good critiques and reviews from 5 guild guys and three mastersmiths. Was it worth it for the sales? Obviously not, OP was right on about gun vs. knife show and the lack of widespread internet advertising. Was it worth the trip, you bet.

I would like to see a knife specific show. Central or north TX is fine, the problem was the lack of broad advertising and the gun show mix, not the location IMO. I'd be glad to do what I can to help get a show together.

At least the tables were cheap. Harvey Dean or Gayle Bradley may not flinch at $150 lor $250 tables, but for a little guy like me, that kind of price is 60% to 100% of a knife sale.

Last edited:
Back