Looking for a thermometer for quench tank

C Craft

The tittle of the thread is pretty much self explanatory, I am about to finish a project I started quite some time ago. I am looking for a thermometer for quench tank, I am fabricating. I don't want to spend a small fortune if not necessary. Something like this would work

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/stainless-steel-brewing-thermometer-2-or-6-long-stem-p2018.aspx

except, I want the probe to be mid tank and the actual gauge up to the top of the tank. One my eyes aren't as good as it use to be and, two the back is not good at all, so trying to avoid bending down to read the gauge.

I found a J type Thermocouple ,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX0R41K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3QKDF2VE9R1Q0

which will work for the temperature range, its got a sheathed cable and looks like just the ticket. However I can't find a simple gauge to connect it to!

I want the system to be easily replaceable so like the idea of a thru wall probe but, without a gauge for the probe or the ability to bring the actual gauge up to top of tank it doesn't fit my needs.
I have seen the digital ones but nothing that would be thru wall and all of them seem fairly expensive! I like the idea of a digital if I could also use it to control the heating element that will be in the tank, but also have not run across one like that wasn't very expensive!

I would love to go one place and buy the thermocouple and gauge but it seems if I find one on a site I can't find the other. Something for a deep fryer would work but have yet to find a site that has the parts listed together????:les:

So anyone got any ideas here on where to locate a simple gauge that will work with the pictured thermocouple, or just any ideas????? I am getting aggravated running searches and not finding anything that isn't an arm or leg, or I can find the thermocouple and not the gauge! I am beginning to feel like a dog chasing his tail! :s11779:

Last edited:
I've got a thermometer with a braided stainless steel cable and stainless probe that I use for grilling. They are about 25 bucks and readily available. I bet you could make something like that work.

Search ebay for "TM902C". It should bring up a thermocouple and handheld readout for around 5 bucks delivered.

The thermocouple supplied is a glass-fiber insulated bead type K. It is about 3' long, good to around 400 degC (750 degF) and will work with the junction immersed (though once soaked in quench oil, you will not want to use it for anything else).

The handheld unit will actually read to 1370 degC (equivalent to 2500 degF) when used with a type K probe that will survive at that temperature. That's a decent welding temperature.

The only downside for those in the US is that it only reads in degC. For the price, I don't feel that using a calculator or conversion table is too great a sacrifice.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to go with this one, can't beat the price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121013498372?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I can use this unit to control the water heater element I am using to heat the tank. Now I just got to find one. The one I had planed on using I bought at a flea market still in the pack. Today I am looking at it while doing the final layout on the tank and........................I notice it has a hairline crack at the bend. Couldn't see that while in the plastic! As they saw back to the drawing board!

Back