Looking for design critique and input

Sean Jones

It doesn't look like the design thread has been used for several months so I decided to post my inquiry here.

So here's what I've come up with. I'm planning on G-10 scales in black, blade made from AEB-L. I'll be sending it out for heat treat and will be grinding post heat treat. I looked through Murray Carters book 101 Knife designs and from that modified a previous design of mine.

I've thought about putting steel bolsters on it , but I'd like to keep it light and fast. This knife will be mainly used as a last ditch by the bed piece. In other words it may never get used at all (hopefully). She might carry it occasionally, but I doubt it

I've never worked with AEB-L before, so if anyone thinks that's not a good idea let me know. I chose it because I want a strong knife that can withstand a lot of abuse both just sitting and for it's potential use. I was thinking a RC hardness of 60? Also any suggestions on how to finish the blade. I'm leaning towards a dark patina, but I don't know if you can put a patina on AEB-L...sorry I didn't think about this part until just now.

Here's the design

Attachments

• EDC.pdf
    7.5 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the input bladegrinder. Yes, that is basically the intention of the knife, self-defense. I'll see what I can do

EDC with guard .jpg

The top one is the new version. Does that make sense or should I start over from scratch?
Thanks for the input

Looks like there's the slightest "divot" in the belly of the blade. Is that intentional? I think the handle might be a little on the small/short size for that length of blade, even more so for a "defense" blade. Speaking of, the best "last ditch bed side piece" is a .45 with an integral weapon light, or maybe a pump shotgun with a good light. After that, I'd pick a baseball bat or a broom handle before I grabbed a knife.

The top one's profile looks ok but I'd extend the handle scales further forward.
I agree a handgun or shotgun is best but if this is for a woman I understand some women shy from firearms or aren't capable of using one for any number of reasons, that leaves the blade...a sharp pointy one. :D

The top one's profile looks ok but I'd extend the handle scales further forward.
I agree a handgun or shotgun is best but if this is for a woman I understand some women shy from firearms or aren't capable of using one for any number of reasons, that leaves the blade...a sharp pointy one. :D

OK. I agree that the scales need to come forward more. I was considering a bolster when I drew it and forgot to bring that line forward. However I want to keep it light weight and simple, so no bolster.
And yes it's for a woman; a single woman with a young daughter. She's not against guns as such, but with a young daughter she has reservations. So a sharp pointy object instead :D

Looks like there's the slightest "divot" in the belly of the blade. Is that intentional? I think the handle might be a little on the small/short size for that length of blade, even more so for a "defense" blade. Speaking of, the best "last ditch bed side piece" is a .45 with an integral weapon light, or maybe a pump shotgun with a good light. After that, I'd pick a baseball bat or a broom handle before I grabbed a knife.
oops. No the divot wasn't intentional. My error. I've fixed that. Yes a .45 or a shotgun would be preferable. But as mentioned earlier she has a young daughter and doesn't feel comfortable with a gun right now. Here's the updated drawingEDC with guard .jpg
Not to get off topic but I'm going to be showing her some other security measures as well.

BTW, to answer your patina question, you won't get one on AEB-L. You'll want to stick with a basic carbon steel for that. Another option might be cerakote or someother applied coating.

BTW, to answer your patina question, you won't get one on AEB-L. You'll want to stick with a basic carbon steel for that. Another option might be cerakote or someother applied coating.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't certain. I've used Duracoat on guns before which is similar to cerakote. I'll see how it goes.
Thanks

When I look at the design Sean, I keep wanting to replicate the spine curve on the blade edge to give it a more even blade shape even with only the single edge sharpened. Your blade edge shows a conventional type of blade edge with an ability for cutting things when the primary aim of the blade is to pierce things or did you intend it to be a multi functional knife

I see what you are saying Von Gruff and can visualize it. The intention is to pierce things. I originally thought about a dagger, but I don't think I'm capable at this point of producing a decent dagger. I changed my design a little bit to see if this what you are driving at. It changes the whole look and apparent intent of the knife. I think I like it, though I'll show both versions to her and see what she thinks.

EDC #2.jpg

I see what you are saying Von Gruff and can visualize it. The intention is to pierce things. I originally thought about a dagger, but I don't think I'm capable at this point of producing a decent dagger. I changed my design a little bit to see if this what you are driving at. It changes the whole look and apparent intent of the knife. I think I like it, though I'll show both versions to her and see what she thinks.

I like that one Sean but is it also possible to make a slightly deeper finger guard and more secure grip by keeping the last 1/2 in of the blades length straight and then raduis the corner from there. Not a great representation of what I mean but I think you will see my intent
Seans knife.png

I like that one Sean but is it also possible to make a slightly deeper finger guard and more secure grip by keeping the last 1/2 in of the blades length straight and then raduis the corner from there. Not a great representation of what I mean but I think you will see my intent
View attachment 68126
Thanks for the input Von Gruff. While I bought enough AEB-L to make two (in case I screw one up after heat treat) I've already profiled both of them. While I can make the first change you suggested I don't think I will be able to make the second change on these particular two knifes.

What can I say? I got anxious to get going :) .

I'll add your suggestion here on my next ones though. I think it's a very good idea. It adds a needed robustness considering the application.

Back