Looking for opinions on grinders

Kev

I currently have a shop made 2x72 that serves the purpose. It has several inherent weaknesses and requires a more than convenient amount of maintenance.
I will soon be purchasing a new grinder from a manufacturer. As of right now I’m looking very seriously into a grinder from OBM that tilts, comes with a 2hp motor and several attachments, or the KMG that is a couple hundred more but comes with less attachments.
i am open to suggestions to other brands, with similar options. Also very much interested in real world advantages of the previous described grinders 1 vs the other.

check out Ameribrade grinders.......excellent quality and price......full line of accessories

There's so many options out there these days that if you ask 10 different makers what you should by, you'll likely get 11 different suggestions.

Check on the Reeder grinder https://reederproducts.com/shop/ols/products/rps101-grinder-chassis A complete grinder package (less motor and VFD) is around $1060 shipped. Add a $200 3 ph, 2 hp motor and a $75 Chinese VFD and you've got a very good grinder package ready to go. "IF" you want to really spend some money they've got those packages also.
I drank the Reeder Kool-aid love the grinder. I started with the basic frame added wheels etc... The grinder has taken on more accessories but I have not changed the main grinder. GREAT MACHINE IMO! What ever you get consider the following.

1) Set a realistic budget
2) Motor is attached to grinder frame
3) Tooling arms are 11/2"
4) Minimum 2HP (consider 3HP)
5) Get a small wheel kit as 1st add on

These should get you a quality grinder that is highly adaptable to future add-ons and the latest and greatest features! Have fun looking!

I had a KMG belt drive several years ago and it worked well. Sold it to Matt Parkinson (FiF S1, Ep1 winner) and he still uses it and prefers it over his TW-90 and the other grinders in his shop.

I have a direct drive VS AmeriBrade FastBack with Combo Platen with 6" and 2" rubber coated wheels and a small wheel holder and a 3/4" wheel, as well as a glass, radius platen and 2 different felt platens for the combo platen. I got my own motor and VFD. The AmeriBrade uses a 2" sq tool arm instead of the normal 1.5" arms of the other machines, but I like it's beefiness. People love Brodbecks as well.

Check on the Reeder grinder https://reederproducts.com/shop/ols/products/rps101-grinder-chassis A complete grinder package (less motor and VFD) is around $1060 shipped. Add a $200 3 ph, 2 hp motor and a $75 Chinese VFD and you've got a very good grinder package ready to go. "IF" you want to really spend some money they've got those packages also.
I need to see if you can use that Reeder integral rig on a KMG. I know that some of the surface grinder attachments that use a 1.5 arm and work vertically can be swapped around to different models.

I have had my 3 speed kmg for 15 years with no problems. Just ordered the KMG TX. Beaumont people have always been a joy to deal with. Buy Once, Cry Once.

I have a Bader, and I really wish I had one that tilted with a dedicated arm for a work rest. I can’t recommend any of the previously named grinders, but I can say get one that tilts, and has a separate arm for the work rest. My next will probably be a Brodbeck.

Back