Looking for some input on technique

liteluvr

First, if this isn't the right place, feel free to move this post.
I'm wanting to do a new blade, and the design I want has some brass ornamentation at the end of the handle, similar to what's shown in this picture. To be specific, I'm looking at the interior piece, not the cap on the end. I got that part under control.

knifedetail.jpg
At this point I'm thinking of using some cardboard to evolve the pattern around the finished handle, then scribe it to some thin brass sheet, probably in the .09-.13" thickness range. From there, I can use some small pins anchor it to the bottom of the handle, and work my way around to the top.
My question to my much more experienced brethren is... is there a better way? I've not experimented with forming brass sheet like this, so I don't know what to expect when I try to form it. I would assume a little heat might be needed to soften things up, but then with that thin a brass sheet, I'm not sure.
Looking for any input.

Last edited:
Forming the brass is fairly easy. Just remember brass work hardens and you will have to soften it by heating it up and quenching it. It's opposite from steel.

Erik

Back