M390 Sendero with dyed Black Ash burl.

Some of y'all know that I hate taking, editing, & posting pics but I thought I'd show this one off. As stated, the blade is B/U M390 @ Hrc-62 with a 400 grit belt finish. 416 SS guard & pins. Dyed & stabilized Black Ash burl with mortised construction. 5" cutting edge. 1.25" edge to spine. 5" handle. 10.5" OAL. .176" thick @ the Ricasso with a nice distal taper.
Made this one for Bryce at T.L.E. sharpening. Gotta start on some pants for it tomorrow. Green Sendero #1 .JPGGreen Sendero #2 .JPG

Good looking blade Darrin! How was the m390 to work with I have not read up much on it but know it is supposed to be up there in wear resistance.

Its probably my favorite all around steel right now. It takes a very keen edge and holds it for a LONG time. I carried the first M390 test blade I made for about 14 months and used it to cut anything and everything I needed to cut. I didn't abuse it but I didn't baby it either and in that time period I only sharpened it twice. The blade stock was a bit too thick for my liking so I gave it to my neighbor and he loves it. I was afraid that finishing would be a chore but Mr. Frank Niro advised me that it finishes about like CPM-154 and he was correct. Its hard to believe that a steel that is so easy to finish performs as well as it does but its true. The only drawbacks are availability which is getting better and the extreme temp. (2150) needed to H/T it. I hate running my furnace at those temps but this steel requires it. If you don't max. it out and run it at 62 you may as well be using S35VN or CPM-154 IMO.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Its probably my favorite all around steel right now. It takes a very keen edge and holds it for a LONG time. I carried the first M390 test blade I made for about 14 months and used it to cut anything and everything I needed to cut. I didn't abuse it but I didn't baby it either and in that time period I only sharpened it twice. The blade stock was a bit too thick for my liking so I gave it to my neighbor and he loves it. I was afraid that finishing would be a chore but Mr. Frank Niro advised me that it finishes about like CPM-154 and he was correct. Its hard to believe that a steel that is so easy to finish performs as well as it does but its true. The only drawbacks are availability which is getting better and the extreme temp. (2150) needed to H/T it. I hate running my furnace at those temps but this steel requires it. If you don't max. it out and run it at 62 you may as well be using S35VN or CPM-154 IMO.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Good info Darrin! I need to call ya up sometime it's been a long time since we chatted.

Back