Makers Mark Press

backtines

Hi guys,
I'd like to make a press to handle my makers mark stamp. I'm tired of wacking my stamp as a punch. I cringe when it's time to set my mark .

The way I've been doing it is by hand and when I hit the stamp, I later find out that its not as straight as I'd like it to be , or it bounces when I hit it and scuffs the ricaso and i find myself sanding that area down more and more and wasting time.

The last knife I made I used a press at my shop , but I had to hold it by hand and it rocked back and forth. It was better , but a fixture needs to be made to hold that thing straight and I may need to shorten it as well. I have a few bottle jacks around that I'm gonna be using for the job. Im hoping you guys can send a few pics of your rig so I can see how you guys are doing it.

Thanks

I just completed a holder for my stamp, I use it in my 25 ton press. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. May give you an idea.

Fred

I use a 25 ton press, this fixture was set up with that in mind.

The tolerances are important to make sure the mark is in the same location on the piece being stamped. The two upright post were matched with the plates on each side and mig welded. [lower heat] Once this assembly was welded and checked for clearance with the stamp; then the bronze shims. I used the shims so I had the option of moving the stamp one way or the other. The upright was then welded to the plate base, making sure its square.
This fixture is set up to mark Bubble Jigs, but can be altered to mark blades.

Hope this is helpful, Fred
DSC01708.JPG

DSC01704.JPG

DSC01701.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01705.JPG
    DSC01705.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
I use a 25 ton press, this fixture was set up with that in mind.

The tolerances are important to make sure the mark is in the same location on the piece being stamped. The two upright post were matched with the plates on each side and mig welded. [lower heat] Once this assembly was welded and checked for clearance with the stamp; then the bronze shims. I used the shims so I had the option of moving the stamp one way or the other. The upright was then welded to the plate base, making sure its square.
This fixture is set up to mark Bubble Jigs, but can be altered to mark blades.

Hope this is helpful, Fred
DSC01708.JPG

DSC01704.JPG

DSC01701.JPG

Good idea Fred thanks for showin me the pics

Yes, the Henry Evers stamps are the finest. I bought my first one and quickly ruined it on hardened steel. Be sure the steel is "pre-heat treated" otherwise it flattens a $150 stamp. Don't stamp it hot either just make sure the blade is nearly finished sanded and annealed.

Back